• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are Soundbars the future of speakers for the home?

I consider the soundbars as an upgrade from the tiny afterthought speakers found in most TV's.

I often wonder if there's a niche market for a product that starts out as soundbar, preferably with a wireless sub, but can be converted to a center speaker and has connections for adding extra speakers to allow one to expand it to 2.1 or 5.1 or.... This would work especially well with wireless speakers.

I think that would be a good idea,even if it only allowed you to add wireless surrounds,assuming it already came with a sub.
 
The soundbars I've heard were better than the built in sound of a flat screen, but no better than my most recent box tv.

The ones that come with a separate bass box are better, but still nowhere near my 2.0 tv system.

A pair of subwoofers come and go from my tv watching and in my opinion add more to the experience than surround ever did.

I've never seen or heard a soundbar that I would use for music, barring some sort of calamity.
 
Unfortunately, soundbars and their brethren probably are the future. Seems like most people I know don't really care about having great sound. They are unwilling to spend the money, won't take the time to set up a home theater, or don't want the "messy" look of multiple speakers. Some simply can't tell the difference. There will always be people like us who appreciate a quality listening experience but sadly, a lot of people seem to be just as happy with the small portable speaker that they plug into their smart phone.
 
These are just like when the Bose Acoustimass systems first became popular. Popular because of their small footprint as opposed to them sounding anywhere near as good as a real system. Some gullible people push the idea that it's equivalent to a good system because that is what the salesman told them, or they are simply lying to themselves and in denial because they just spent money on something terrible.

In some cases a soundbar can be better than built-in TV speakers, but that's about it.
 
I used to run a 5.1 surround system, then the AVR crapped out. Replaced it with a cheap Insignia from a surplus/warehouse store and run it in stereo mode with a pair of Kenwood speakers on either side of the TV. Our Sharp "Aquos" doesn't have an analog audio output, so I just ran a patch cord from the TV's headphone jack to the AUX input on the receiver. Sounds quite nice, since what my wife & I seek is clarity for the dialogue. The Sharp TV has a "surround" mode that expands the soundstage somewhat and adds bass...a feature that gets used now & then.
 
Unfortunately, soundbars and their brethren probably are the future. Seems like most people I know don't really care about having great sound.

Well then, it's hardly unfortunate for most people; it's not unfortunate or sad that others don't share your enthusiasms. And you can still do what you like.
 
Last edited:
I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the benefits of modern day soundbars compared to the days of surround sound speakers and other inventions.

For me personally, growing up in the surround sound era, it was a neat little thing to have surround sound to show off to people when they came round to watch a movie or tv show. However, I think nowadays soundbars are my personal preference purely because of a lot less clutter and also multi functionality with the fact a lot of them can also play music etc through bluetooth.

What do you guys think? Do soundbars create enough of a room filling audio for your tastes?
Not no way, not no how.:no:
 
When exactly did TV's ever have good sound?.

Not all, but a good few CRT sets from the 1980s and 1990s had very good audio built in. My Sharp has separate bass-reflex loudspeaker boxes that can be anchored to the side of the set, or removed to be free standing. Internal amps of 4x75W.
Sony's Kirara Basso line was also very, very good with audio.
 
As everyone has pointed out, it's a big, fat compromise. The ones I've heard were definitely better than the TV speakers, but were a poor value when held up against a second hand stereo receiver and a pair of speakers. Unfortunately, half of the married audiophiles in the world lack the wherewithal to convince their wives that a decent setup is in their best interest while the other half lack the gumption to make it look better than a haphazard collection of plywood and loose cabling.
 
I don't really do surround, but this is attractive to me. It has real performance and a sub out with a crossover so you're not stuck using the made of toast sub things which come pre packed with some.
Yamaha YSP-5600. IMG_0979.JPG
 
Last edited:
We use a sound bar with a sub in the living room because my wife doesn't want to see a bunch of speakers. It sounds ok once you get used to it, but it doesn't compare to my 7.1 surround setup in my upstairs music room.
Sound bars will become more popular because most wives don't like to see a bunch of speakers.
 
That is A good point that planned obsolescence of Chinese gear with way to many features is ?. It's hard to keep up with the latest and greatest formats and codecs but once you have A nice surround system sound bars or bases can't come close...
 
Soundbars are for the bluetooth-speaker folk. I've heard good sounding blu-tooth speakers and I was surprised at how a sound bar improves the sound of a tv.... But.... I don't own a Garden Weasel, I don't own a My Pillow, I don't have a lawn service taking care of my lawn, I don't have a Facebook account and I will not own a Sound Bar... I am very open minded though!
 
We use a sound bar with a sub in the living room because my wife doesn't want to see a bunch of speakers. It sounds ok once you get used to it, but it doesn't compare to my 7.1 surround setup in my upstairs music room.
Sound bars will become more popular because most wives don't like to see a bunch of speakers.
Please stop trying to normalize a phenomena (WAF) in a forum where it should be stigmatized like the leprosy that it is.
 
I'm sure soundbars are the wave of the future... somebody elses future! OTOH, if all you watch is news and weather, they're far better than the useless little speakers in modern TVs. I'm surprised they waste money even putting them in.
 
Soundbars are for the bluetooth-speaker folk. I've heard good sounding blu-tooth speakers and I was surprised at how a sound bar improves the sound of a tv.... But.... I don't own a Garden Weasel, I don't own a My Pillow, I don't have a lawn service taking care of my lawn, I don't have a Facebook account and I will not own a Sound Bar... I am very open minded though!

Neither do I have any of those things, except the My Pillow. That bohunker works. All the guy did was cut up some foam into little pyramid chunks that don't compact. And it's machine "warshable". (Warshing machine, not lawnmower or Garden Weasel)
 
Last edited:
got the VMaudio EXAT33 a couple of years ago as the price direct was way lower than the soundbars i could afford at the time. i use them on either side of the TV and they sound quite decent for television shows and give me the volume i need. i have listened to some music over the cable network and it sounds okay. the bass is not boomy and with a better tweeter these might be better. i am tempted to shoehorn a Vifa i have but want the warranty to be well up before that.

the quality was a WV suspect at first but upon using them (non-critically of course) and examining the build quality i have to say they are a cut or two above any WV and sound decent.

there is no actual surround but the simulated surround from the Panasonic is good enough for the television network shows we watch.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom