• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are the SX-626/727/828 all in the same family?

Ross6860

Super Member
I have an SX-626 and love it. It's in my bedroom and I listen to it nearly daily.

Is the SX-727 and SX-828 the same design only with more power on tap?

Something about the direct-coupled capacitive-coupled outputs giving the SX-626 its warm, maybe even tube-ish sound? I'm no electronics expert so I'm probably using the wrong terms.

In any case, I like the sound of the 626 and would like the same for another unit in a larger room. A little more power on tap for larger speakers probably wouldn't hurt.


Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm no electronics expert either, but I do know that everything in the x2x format came from the same line of receivers. Whether or not that includes significantly different electronical builds from unit to unit I can't say.
 
The 626 is a great little receiver. I bought one used 40 years ago and still have it.
The 727 and 828 are higher powered variations of the 626, but the 626 is capacitor coupled, and the 727 and 828 are DC coupled.
For more power, I've had both the 727 and 828, but sold both in favor of the x50 series.
If you want to keep the price down, an 850 would be a good choice.
None of these may have the warm sound of a 626, but you can always flip it if you don't like it.
 
I redid a 626 and sold it; it was a great little receiver. The 727 I just finished does have more power, I may end up keeping that. I would love a 1250 though.
 
The SX-626 has a different layout than its bigger brothers in that it is a quasi-complimentary power amp (uses all 4 of the same NPN output transistors instead of NPN and it's PNP compliment) as well as a cap coupled output.

Also the tuner section is a low output type that goes through the phono preamp to bring it up to line level instead of having a line level output of its own.

There are some other differences too but it's a great little receiver with a very good tuner section and a nice small footprint.
 
The SX-626 has a different layout than its bigger brothers in that it is a quasi-complimentary power amp (uses all 4 of the same NPN output transistors instead of NPN and it's PNP compliment) as well as a cap coupled output.

Also the tuner section is a low output type that goes through the phono preamp to bring it up to line level instead of having a line level output of its own.

There are some other differences too but it's a great little receiver with a very good tuner section and a nice small footprint.

Since I like the SX-626 sound and may like another vintage SS receiver, do I go for a bigger brother, switch to the SX-x50 series Pioneer (I've read they are a "brighter" amp), or switch to something altogether different like a Marantz or Sansui (which may be noted for more of a warm sound)?

I do have a Jolida 302b tube amp coming, so this may all be moot. 50 wpc of EL34 should push anything I want to listen to loud enough for my tastes.
 
Don't forget the x3x series, which was produced between the x2x and x50 series. A modest size SX-737 may fit your needs.. I use a 737, as well as a 950 (both fully restored) in the same room and there are some subtle differences, with the 950 more punchy and detailed, and a softer, more relaxed sound from the 737.
 
Don't forget the x3x series, which was produced between the x2x and x50 series. A modest size SX-737 may fit your needs.. I use a 737, as well as a 950 (both fully restored) in the same room and there are some subtle differences, with the 950 more punchy and detailed, and a softer, more relaxed sound from the 737.

Totally agree, depending on your room size and speaker choice the SX-737 might be a good option if you only need a little more power. It offers some very nice features and reasonable power for most applications (35 wpc). The next one up, the SX-838 at 50 wpc is a very decent performer too and they often show up at pretty reasonable prices.

IMO the SX-x50 series receivers are the best Pioneer ever built (particularly from the SX-850 on up) and would be my "go-to" choice for more power over 50 wpc.

Keep in mind that any of these receivers will probably need some level of service at this point. They all use some transistors that are known to start acting up and should be replaced eventually along with at least some electrolytic capacitors too.
 
Back
Top Bottom