• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are these factory KG4 crossovers?

jmitchnh

Active Member
Finally got a few minutes to install the Crites titanium tweets in my KG4s and took the x-overs out to take a peek as that's my next job.

I was a bit suprised to find what I did. Did not look like a picture I had seen of a KG4 stock crossover on another thread. I'm assuming that these have been "massaged" sometime in their past. Do any of these components look familiar. I have Bob's Sonicaps ready to go in, just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

BTW, the titanium dias sound AMAZING! :bigok:
 

Attachments

  • mike_vid2 002.jpg
    mike_vid2 002.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 90
  • mike_vid2 001.jpg
    mike_vid2 001.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 66
Register to hide this ad
Yes
They are the same as mine were until I went with sonic caps for the mids and highs.
Used Axon's for the bass.
 
Finally got a few minutes to install the Crites titanium tweets in my KG4s and took the x-overs out to take a peek as that's my next job.

I was a bit suprised to find what I did. Did not look like a picture I had seen of a KG4 stock crossover on another thread. I'm assuming that these have been "massaged" sometime in their past. Do any of these components look familiar. I have Bob's Sonicaps ready to go in, just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

BTW, the titanium dias sound AMAZING! :bigok:

I'm considering the Crites titanium tweets for my Kg4s. Did you upgrade your xover as well. I'm considering the xover upgrades as well. Please post your opinion of the upgrade you did and if you think it's worth the cost/effort.
 
Is that a PTC thermistor in series to the tweeter? Does anyone here have experience, either bypassing or subbing this item with a fixed resistor?
 
Is that a PTC thermistor in series to the tweeter? Does anyone here have experience, either bypassing or subbing this item with a fixed resistor?

That is a polyswitch for tweeter protection. It should trip and protect the tweeter when excess power is applied to the tweeter. The earliest of the KG-4 crossovers did not have that. I think it got added because so many tweeters were being blown and Klipsch was trying to cut down on warranty replacements.

Bob Crites
 
Yup, that's what I thought, but what about non-linearity in this device? If I find it in my KG4.5 crossovers, should I hack it outta there and/or replace it with a low-value fixed resistor?
 
Yup, that's what I thought, but what about non-linearity in this device? If I find it in my KG4.5 crossovers, should I hack it outta there and/or replace it with a low-value fixed resistor?

It is a switch, like a circuit breaker. Goes completely open on overload then closes when it cools off. I don't see any non-linearty in the polyswitch. As they age, their resistance may go up some and I like to always replace them when I rebuild the crossovers. They are not my favorite type of tweeter protection, but are probably the cheapest tweeter protection. If you replace it, don't use a resistor, just use a piece of wire.

Bob Crites
 
Back
Top Bottom