• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ariston Q Deck and getting back into hifi

Callan1967

Active Member
IMG_0207.JPG not been on here for a while, life got in the way...

However a new year beckoned and I thought, what the hell, might treat myself so I picked up a Q deck locally for very little, it was filthy but a good clean up has brought it back to its former glory and it sounds pretty good, I had an hitachi 66s before which was ok but this seems a step up.

I have moved my arcam alpha 9 into my living room and connected that q deck and it sounds good, relegated my nad to the conservatory and it's all sounding good, at least to my ears.

Good to be back.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know the Q-Deck. But I have the speakers which were part of the same "budget" series, the Icon, and it's not just good, it's a great speaker. Ariston was a great brand, their demise was sad on many levels. I had the RD40 TT (the round one) which both looked and sounded superb. Some of the "high end" brands really deliver the goods with their low-cost models. And some don't — a friend has the Roksan Radius TT (the first model) and sad to say it's junk. I don't tell him that of course...
 
I don't know the Q-Deck. But I have the speakers which were part of the same "budget" series, the Icon, and it's not just good, it's a great speaker. Ariston was a great brand, their demise was sad on many levels. I had the RD40 TT (the round one) which both looked and sounded superb. Some of the "high end" brands really deliver the goods with their low-cost models. And some don't — a friend has the Roksan Radius TT (the first model) and sad to say it's junk. I don't tell him that of course...

Hope he isn't on here ! Yeah I'm liking this ariston I must say
 
Thank you ! I picked a Q deck about a year ago, it needed a belt and a cleaning and lube. The DC supply was missing, and I had something that works fine. I have to put some cart clips on the tone arm wires but, have put off soldering them on. I think it may be sonicly better than the TT's I am using. I am going to finally see if it is as good I thought, due to this thread. It is a long way from a Linn, very simple and cheap.
 
I believe the original Ariston is actually a full fledged Linn. Apparently there was a falling out between partners.
We may be getting some misinformation. I heard a very different version, from several different people on three continents, and all the versions agreed. So it might be true. Ariston came first. It neglected to patent its innovations. Young Ivor Tiefenbrun realized this omission and quickly filed those patents. Linn used Ariston's technology — and Ariston was no longer allowed to. Thus was Linn born. Thus did Ariston die.
 
We may be getting some misinformation. I heard a very different version, from several different people on three continents, and all the versions agreed. So it might be true. Ariston came first. It neglected to patent its innovations. Young Ivor Tiefenbrun realized this omission and quickly filed those patents. Linn used Ariston's technology — and Ariston was no longer allowed to. Thus was Linn born. Thus did Ariston die.
Yes, I remember this also. But I thought there was a partnership involved, not just clever underhandedness. If so, it's disappointing, however late.
 
If so, it's disappointing, however late.
Indeed. Some of the people who told me that story are professionals in the audio industry in the UK, and they absolutely despise Tiefenbrun because of it. And Ampman, you must be a very even-handed man: "clever underhandedness" is a very mild, non-judgmental way to put it.
 
the q deck was a good rival for the rega p2 back in the day. The arm and main bearing should cope with a decent moving magnet if the turntable is placed on a suitble surface..isolated wall shelf etc.A Baerwald alignment works well on this English / Scottish turntables. Been an RD60 owner since 1988 too , so another big Ariston fan here. :)
 
I think some users in the uk might have been put off Ariston tt's as there was also a company named Ariston who made white goods, freezers, washing machines etc, they were i think Italian and became indesit. As far as I am aware nothing to do with the Scottish hifi manufacturers.
 
Congratulations on the new Ariston!. I used to own an Ariston RD-40 and I loved that table regret selling it to this day, but it went to a good new owner and he's loving it now.

Audiofreak71
 
We may be getting some misinformation. I heard a very different version, from several different people on three continents, and all the versions agreed. So it might be true. Ariston came first. It neglected to patent its innovations. Young Ivor Tiefenbrun realized this omission and quickly filed those patents. Linn used Ariston's technology — and Ariston was no longer allowed to. Thus was Linn born. Thus did Ariston die.
from my hazy memory the ariston story was an interesting one...
Actually Ariston's expertise which culminated in the LP12 'copy' didn't really die...and both turntables still owe most of their basic design to Edgar Villchur's original AR 3 point T bar suspended anyway . So, they were less innovative in context of the development of the 3 point suspended but probably more refined in execution than Villchur's initial AR offering. I think Linn simply inverted the main bearing of the Ariston and called it the lp12 ?
The Lp12 was already outdated by the time turntables such as the Logic DM101 with Logic datum tonearm , the Pink Triangle PT TOO and Roksan Xerxes , thorens td-521 , heybrook TT2 etc came along on this side of the pond...hence the constant fiddling with the basic LP12 format all along , offering ever better power supplies , wood finishes and tonearms etc to try and keep their old but essentially identical ariston copied platform competitive.
Then , along comes 2 budget killers , the rb250 and rb300 single cast one piece tonearms...unheard of in mass produced form anywhere and the result of some expensive R&D and award winning patented fabrication process . Again Linn has a sales headache.... too late to copy anyone now... too expensive to innovate... and cds are taking off....then along comes the alphason hr-100 arm... and thereafter, I saw most linn turntable products it as just a repackaging branding exercise...Although I can't fault their budget arms , or their turntables , both sounded good. but not in anyway so superior to the rest ( and cheaper variations on the same theme ) that you'd thrown away a well sorted thorens td 160 , or thorens td 320/ or td321 to acquire , unless you like burning money for fun.
The Systemdek range , including it's biscuit tin design that preceded the ariston 40 and Ariston Forte as it was also known..clearly has similar design input although consumers at the time weren't keen on anything that wasn't square.. The elusive Systemdek IV was also probably an Ariston derived attempt to knock the LP12 back to the drawing board... and I think was directly influenced by some of the people who worked with Ariston initially. The Ariston brand actually kept developing its turntable range at several price points from the RD20 right the way up to the rd90 superieur or RD90S before cd began to take a big chunk out of all turntable manufacturers and most of them shut up shop for good. Their Q deck was initially released to take on the likes of the Popular entry level Dual CS 505 II deluxe and the simpler but more robust Rega Planar 2 in the mid 80s early 90s alogn with such as the Rotel rp-830 etc..and was actually a revamp of the initial RD20 ( also entry level but just as elusive due to low production runs iirc). I think the Ariston Icon was probably its last gasp at offering a decent, affordable 3 point suspended based on the success of the rd80 3 point suspended then quite limited run of the rd50/60 fixed/suspended pair..which at the time of release was still being experimented with in terms of outward cosmetics and I think they ever tried to release an electronic speed switching version of the rd50/60 but i doubt they got much further than a few prototypes. In hindsight... I think Ariston , Thorens , Acoustic Research , Logic , Systemdek , and several others much as Walker , Michell kept pushing the development of the format regardless of the digital onslaught and were actually more innovative in their product range across the entire budget range before Linn decided to offer the Axis as High end turntables began to wobble in terms of sales. Ironically... it was the simplicity of the the rega p2/3 and turntables like the thorens td160s and the technics 1210 which probably helped vinyl to survive at all...I don't think Linn's LP12 sales and price tag were helped by anything except other manufacturer's innovations in a rapidly shrinking market... especially when turntables such as the gyrodek entered the high end and made everything else look ancient in one simple minimalist rotation.... Plinth ? what plinth ? why does a high end turntable need a plinth anyway ? they probably reasoned..as far as vibration is concerned..garbage in garbage out... cue the Gyrodeck's space age but minimalist looks... more Linn headache... ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom