• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

article: Analog audio making comeback thanks to turntable restorers

SFBayArch

Super Member
I've seen their ads on CL...

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/25/5216420/analog-audio-lives-on-thanks-to.html

13dEJZ.Xl.4.jpeg


more interesting (to me) is the information on the resurgence and growth of vinyl:


 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've seen their ads on CL...

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/25/5216420/analog-audio-lives-on-thanks-to.html


more interesting (to me) is the information on the resurgence and growth of vinyl:



Great article!
 
Interesting to note the comment on consoles coming in for repair.

This was the only acceptable way I was able to get a music system of any sort into the living area of my house. Now I am plotting to upgrade all the guts-Wards Airline units are not exactly sonic bliss....
 
Funny to see this, just as I'm getting back into vinyl after a 30+ year hiatus ... :D Thanks for posting!
 
Interesting to note the comment on consoles coming in for repair.

This was the only acceptable way I was able to get a music system of any sort into the living area of my house. Now I am plotting to upgrade all the guts-Wards Airline units are not exactly sonic bliss....

It's funny, because recently my sister (down in southern california) recently bought a stereo console just because she liked the mid century modern look.
She had it gutted and and turned it into a china cabinet/hutch. No interest in the audio gear inside it. She only valued it as furniture.

It was one if these:
30935623_62e33c3f44.jpg
 
...more interesting (to me) is the information on the resurgence and growth of vinyl:



The year-over-year increases are impressive, but let's not forget that the absolute numbers still describe a small niche market.

If we assume that the average new turntable carries a $200 price tag, that $10 Million sales figure for new turntables in 2013 corresponds to only 50,000 units. That's tiny compared to the annual volume of CD players or MP3 players. Similarly, the $4.6 Million figure for new vinyl records in 2012 represents 230,000 LPs at $20 a pop. Compare that to 193.4 million CDs sold in 2012 -- a 13.5% decline from the prior year -- and the LP's market niche looks tiny indeed.
 
It's funny, because recently my sister (down in southern california) recently bought a stereo console just because she liked the mid century modern look.
She had it gutted and and turned it into a china cabinet/hutch. No interest in the audio gear inside it. She only valued it as furniture.

It was one if these:
30935623_62e33c3f44.jpg

There was one of these Zenith consoles on our local clist. If I wasn't up to my ears in repurposed and to-be-repurposed consoles I would have snagged that for sure. Very sweet MCM look.
 
I work on a lot of consoles. In many cases they're a bear to get working again -- some of the old changers are wonky and of course you have to make house calls. But they're a joy when you do get them working again.

I recently re-did a very early solid-state Magnavox that was actually one big box with the receiver and the turntable and then separate speakers. Kind of a deconstructed console. I asked the customer if he planned on keeping it for a long time, saying he should get the caps re-done if he did. Well, he went for it, and the thing sounded amazing with new caps.

I am glad to know there are people here at AK and elsewhere keeping these things going. I think of it like the Cuban guys and the old cars. They're beautiful and wonderful machines, so let's keep them alive!
 
It's funny, because recently my sister (down in southern california) recently bought a stereo console just because she liked the mid century modern look.
She had it gutted and and turned it into a china cabinet/hutch. No interest in the audio gear inside it. She only valued it as furniture.

It was one if these:
30935623_62e33c3f44.jpg

Holy crap that's awesome looking!
 
Oh jeez. I get sick of her CL ads. She shows pictures of TT's stacked five high right on top of each other.

She tried to lowball me on a pair of speakers I was selling a while back. Buzz off, lady!
 
The year-over-year increases are impressive, but let's not forget that the absolute numbers still describe a small niche market.

If we assume that the average new turntable carries a $200 price tag, that $10 Million sales figure for new turntables in 2013 corresponds to only 50,000 units. That's tiny compared to the annual volume of CD players or MP3 players. Similarly, the $4.6 Million figure for new vinyl records in 2012 represents 230,000 LPs at $20 a pop. Compare that to 193.4 million CDs sold in 2012 -- a 13.5% decline from the prior year -- and the LP's market niche looks tiny indeed.

I was gonna make a similar remark, but I'm glad someone else got to be the turd in the punch bowl before I did.
 
Oh jeez. I get sick of her CL ads. She shows pictures of TT's stacked five high right on top of each other.

She tried to lowball me on a pair of speakers I was selling a while back. Buzz off, lady!

I've talked her twice before and she wouldn't quote me any prices on any turntable. I found her rude and annoying(she sure loved to talk about herself)..... avoid!
 
The sales figures on vinyl may not be very accurate. I believe they come from Soundscan, which tracks big-box stores.

Many independent record stores, eBay sellers, and mail-order houses like Music Direct and ElusiveDisk may not participate.
 
I've talked her twice before and she wouldn't quote me any prices on any turntable. I found her rude and annoying(she sure loved to talk about herself)..... avoid!

It says she sells on Craig's List right? I'm shocked.

:rolleyes:

The bad news is—after this article—it's gonna get worse. A lot worse.
 
Oh jeez. I get sick of her CL ads. She shows pictures of TT's stacked five high right on top of each other.

She tried to lowball me on a pair of speakers I was selling a while back. Buzz off, lady!

I didn't want to thread crap, but after reading the article I got a strong feeling that I couldn't deal with her. The line about how she doesn't just sell to anyone, and she vets potential buyers? Good on her for fixing up tables and getting people into vinyl, but good grief.
 
Oh jeez. I get sick of her CL ads. She shows pictures of TT's stacked five high right on top of each other.

She tried to lowball me on a pair of speakers I was selling a while back. Buzz off, lady!


It's people like her who are ruining this hobby! You'd be better off going with a new entry level Pro-ject, Rega or Music Hall, than buying one of her so called "restored" tables.
 
Back
Top Bottom