phalanger
Active Member
Hi
I've been looking around for a suitable pre-amp for a while. What I want is a musical, perhaps slightly warm'ish, lively preamp. I would like to try a tube pre. While looking, I ran into a what looks like a good deal on an Astin Trew AT1000, which is a hybrid preamp with 2 12AU7 tubes and a burr brown opamp. Website is here http://www.astintrew.co.uk/at/.
There is not too much info to be found online but what is there seems pretty favorable. Additionally, the used AT1000 which I found has upgraded coupling caps and black plate tubes.
Feature wise, it seems just about right, I mostly wonder if it will sound tubey/warm enough for what I want, since it appears to be a modern/fast sounding preamp. I will be pairing it with a TPA3116 poweramp, and looking for a bit of tube action, which should go well with this chipamp.
Has anyone here heard this preamp before? Or have any general input on if I'm looking in the right direction? What to expect from hybrids, etc. I have also considered DIY tube kits and chinese tube preamps, but usually they lack some other desirable features such as at least 4 inputs, headphone section and maybe a remote control (optional but desirable)
Any imput welcome!
I've been looking around for a suitable pre-amp for a while. What I want is a musical, perhaps slightly warm'ish, lively preamp. I would like to try a tube pre. While looking, I ran into a what looks like a good deal on an Astin Trew AT1000, which is a hybrid preamp with 2 12AU7 tubes and a burr brown opamp. Website is here http://www.astintrew.co.uk/at/.
There is not too much info to be found online but what is there seems pretty favorable. Additionally, the used AT1000 which I found has upgraded coupling caps and black plate tubes.
Feature wise, it seems just about right, I mostly wonder if it will sound tubey/warm enough for what I want, since it appears to be a modern/fast sounding preamp. I will be pairing it with a TPA3116 poweramp, and looking for a bit of tube action, which should go well with this chipamp.
Has anyone here heard this preamp before? Or have any general input on if I'm looking in the right direction? What to expect from hybrids, etc. I have also considered DIY tube kits and chinese tube preamps, but usually they lack some other desirable features such as at least 4 inputs, headphone section and maybe a remote control (optional but desirable)
Any imput welcome!
Last edited: