• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Astonishing Sony XDRF1HD Tuner

To those of you not satisfied with the sound quality of the Sony tuner, have any of you tried the mod involving the removal of C11, C12, C21 & C22? It's an easy mod (referred to in detail in my post #118 of this thread - page 8) that makes a significant improvement in the audio quality.
I invite some of you to do this and then post your reactions.
JimB
 
I don't think any of us here are in love with HD radio. I see it more as a gimmick but it does give me more options than regular FM. For example, three Atlanta AM talk stations come in on alternate HD channels crystal clear - at night where it wasn't even possible to get them here 50 miles away.

My big yagi and rotator has the Sony at 3 bars on every channel and it is giving my classic FM tuners a run for the money. I am currently doing a 4 tuner shootout and I have found enough stations without HD yet so that I can get a better comparison.

And another thing, I love XM radio (have three active receivers) and the music channels on my newer Dish Network HDTV MPEG 2 receiver sound as good as CD's to me. My older bedroom Dish Network receiver is not as good on those music channels.

I'll try to finish up the tests when the grandkids all go home after Mother's Day weekend.
 
I bought one, it sits with about an 1/8 in dust on it. The sound quality is unlistenable for me at least. So I'm with the good Dr. Failed my real world DX testing also. For the money I don't think you can't beat it. But saying that it ranks with the top tier of high end tuners is just false.

Err.. My hearing doesn't go to 20K and my speakers don't go down to 20. .1% distortion is good for a tube tuner. Most tuners that leave my bench measure way below that figure. 80db separation is very good, but doubt most people could tell the difference between 40db separation and 80db without the use of test equipment.

This is probably the most accurate post I have read on the subject. I have listened to the Sony HD Radio and it basically stinks compared to a high-end Tuners like my Marantz 20B and Marantz 2130. I also own a Modern Jolida Tube Tuner that retails around $400. They all smoke the Sony.

No one is arguing that it is not a great buy at $100, but Audiophile it is NOT!
 
Good replies, especially evsentry3 who makes several good rebuttal points. Just goes to show once again that embellishing ones opinion in authoritative sounding babble doesn't necessarily make it accurate in whole or part. This lesson I realize many times when reading audio reviews and the colorful babble used to describe non-scientific reviewer impressions. It's enough to make a fair-minded fellow a real cynic.
 
I'm going to try to get a refund from Amazon for my 85 bucks.

I expected the Sony to be better than any tuner made in the history of the world.

But it is not.

Edit: I am joking above.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to try to get a refund from Amazon for my 85 bucks.

I expected the Sony to be better than any tuner made in the history of the world.

But it is not.

Ahh:scratch2:

All is well for those who revel in the domain of high end tuners, The lowly Sony will not compare. But for us fringe users whose high end tuner could only marginally pick up certain stations, it is a blessing and an out right bargain!
Regards,
Jim
 
Last edited:
I was joking.

Sometimes my satire is over my head, too.

Cheers, Snade
 
Last edited:
To w1jim:
Rather than remove the capacitors you mentioned, try the op amp de-emphasis modification from Brian Beezley's report. This change will eliminate the supersonic digital byproducts, correct the de-emphasis droop, extend low frequency response by eliminating two coupling capacitors per channel, eliminate audio clipping, and reduce harmonic distortion at all audio frequencies. Not only that, it noticeably enhances the audio quality of an already great tuner. It is a lot more work than just removing the capacitors, but is definitely worth the effort. It is not a job for the electronically uninitiated.
 
Last edited:
HD3.JPG


here is mine I have had it since last October 08' I run mine through a Tube buffer helps give it that tube sound.

2398816-1.jpg
 
I have both the Sony tuner as well as a Punker X-modified Sansui TU-919...and there is a place for both of them in my system. I certainly would not compare the Sony to the 919 in terms of sound quality - that would be silly - but in terms of DXing, the Sony pulls in so many more stations - especially some low-power college stations that I like to listen to now and then...

At the price point, why not have both a high-quality analog tuner and the Sony? It doesn't have to be an either/or...
 
I certainly would not compare the Sony to the 919 in terms of sound quality - that would be silly.

At the price point, why not have both a high-quality analog tuner and the Sony? It doesn't have to be an either/or...

Some people have compared sound quality of the Sony to Expensive FM Tuners and I agree that this is silly.

And if you live in a metro area when station reception is not a problem, it is an either/or situation as you cannot listen to more than one tuner at a time (which is my situation) - And soon you'll end up like Punker with 1/8 inch of dust on the Sony.

So again, The Sony is what it is, at it's price point. If you're interested in pulling in stations in an area where other tuners cannot, the Sony should be considered.
 
And if you live in a metro area when station reception is not a problem, it is an either/or situation as you cannot listen to more than one tuner at a time (which is my situation) - And soon you'll end up like Punker with 1/8 inch of dust on the Sony.

I live just outside of Boston; no lack of excellent FM radio here.

Since acquiring the Sony, my vintage tuners/receivers are collecting dust in my closet. I don't take issue with the notion that the vintage tuners sound better, but IMO that does not compensate for the Sony's ability to pull in even local stations more clearly than the older tuners.

After all, if I'm looking for the highest quality of sound reproduction, I'm not listening to my tuner. I'm spinning vinyl.
 
I don't take issue with the notion that the vintage tuners sound better, but IMO that does not compensate for the Sony's ability to pull in even local stations more clearly than the older tuners.

I cannot understand how a tuner that can "pull in even local stations more clearly than the older tuners" does not sound better than them. :confused:
 
It does sound better on some of the stations.. The Sony will need a quality antenna to sound the best like any other tuner. Using very low capacitance RCA cables kept short is a good idea too.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I cannot understand how a tuner that can "pull in even local stations more clearly than the older tuners" does not sound better than them. :confused:

When I read pbda's post, I interpreted it as he understands how under ideal conditions, a vintage tuner may sound better. But, in his situation, the sony sounds better because it cleanly receives stations his vintage tuners do not.

Seems reasonable.
 
When I read pbda's post, I interpreted it as he understands how under ideal conditions, a vintage tuner may sound better. But, in his situation, the sony sounds better because it cleanly receives stations his vintage tuners do not.

That sums it up for me.
 
With multiple inputs on many preamps it makes sense to run two tuners. Kind of solves the debate.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Anyone had a chance to compare the Sony Tuner vs the new McIntosh TM2 module? My understanding is both tuners are DSP design. Same DSP chip?

And for HD Radio, any reason to assume the McIntosh would sound better? My understanding is all HD designs are pretty much the same today using the same reference design.

Thanks
 
There are various HD tuner modules and the MR88-TM2 is totally different from what is used in the Sony. All HD tuners must meet the HD specifications just like any other licensed technology. Kind of like CD players, they all play the disk, but. If you want to design for high-end sound quality the tuner will of course cost more. HD modules for a table radio or car stereo are fine for their intended use but they are built to a cost.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Back
Top Bottom