• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AT Cartridge ID

Tucker99

Super Member
Can anyone please give me a cartridge ID on this one please?

It is an AT...but I have not been able to identify the model.

Also, once we know what exactly it is, can anyone tell me about it, or comment on its sound quality or ranking in the AT hierarchy??

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • At photo 1.JPG
    At photo 1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 68
  • At photo 2.JPG
    At photo 2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 61
Register to hide this ad
...I think it's an AT51E

I've looked at that kind of image and agree that its possible, but when I look at images of the AT51E cartridge it does not look very like the image I posted...

Not sayin' you're wrong...just not sure you are correct....

Thanks for chiming in tho Stanton681EEES .... all such feedback is appreciated.
 
I did look at the styli in the various photos in the link.

Here is a shot of the stylus only. It just doesn't look the same to me...???
 

Attachments

  • At photo 3.JPG
    At photo 3.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 36
Tucker: AT3100/3200 family low/high output moving coil (or OEM rebadge of these) - if you look at the inside of the needle and the body, you should be able to see the two tiny coils close to the cantilever pivot (just where the AT dual magnet MMs would have their V magnet arrangement instead) as well as the four internal contacts that connect the needle to the output pins at the back of the body. Can't really tell for sure from your rather small pics, but from the first one it looks like it might have a 3rd party replament needle (or like the bottom plate was missing?) - and unfortunately the cantilever looks like it was bent upward.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
lini (Manfred) ...YES... that is the one. Major THANK YOU plus bragging rights probable nomination for Cartridge Recognition Trophy...

So, now we know WHAT it is, next questions are a) is it any good, and b) is there a way to tell if it is high or low output?

On the output question I guess that I could just mount and give it a go on bad record (bent stylus noted) ...

I would be running it through a Sansui BA 3000 ... will that support a low output MC ????

Interesting that it is MC with a replaceable stylus.
 
Tucker: Well, the body as such only contains the magnet (as well as the contact pins for the needle) - and whether it's low or high output entirely depends on what needle you've got or which one you'd buy: a 3100 family needle would make it low output, a 3200 high output. However, whether it's worth a new needle would also depend on what turntable/tonearm you'd like to mount it on (and whether you might have more carts, one of which might be both better in general and better suited, of course...).

Well, and as for the Sansui: Iirc, the BA-3000 is a power-amp, and a pretty good one at that. Nevertheless, it's "just" a power-amp, so plugging a turntable directly into that is rather senseless, regardless of whether it's got a low or high output cartridge - as the gain would be too low in any case, and there also would be no RIAA (re-)equalisation. Shall mean: You'll need at least a separate phono stage (preferably with output level control) or a complete, full-featured pre-amp (like the matching CA-3000) in between in order to sufficiently amplify the low level phono signal and apply the RIAA (re-)equalisation (for an even frequency response - otherwise the bass would be pretty much drowned out, while the treble would be quite significantly boosted).

Really nice power-amp, though - at least if I've got the right one in mind: the "smaller" one of Sansui's Definition Series from around the mid-70s - a black monster with two big VU meters, weighing some 22 kg?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Do you know what he thought about it while he owned it...Can you inquire of him??

His was the JVC version and he and another audio buddy thought it sounded kind of thin.

I heard the same thing at times about the OC9MKII and when i first tried one it sounded kind of dead untill I matched it up with the rite arm preamp etc........... and then WOW did it sound good.

So take my comments with a grain of salt.
 
S681E³S: Hence my indirect question, what turntable/arm T99 would intend to mount it on...

T99: Forgot to mention: Nice P1800 in your avatar - is it yours?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
S681E³S: Hence my indirect question, what turntable/arm T99 would intend to mount it on...

T99: Forgot to mention: Nice P1800 in your avatar - is it yours?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

when i first got the OC9 I had it setup on my modedSL1800MKII with the stock Technics 1200 style head shell. running through a PS Audio 5.0. Then my friend sent me his step Up transformer and I ran that through my Adcom 565 and I set that up on my SL1100A heavier arm and boy did it come to live bottom end was nice and firm, mids were sweet. On my 1800 running through the PS Audio it had tons of detail and high end but it was to much for me, the other setup was far warmer and more enjoyable to me old ears...........
 
To S681E³S and lini ....

Thanks again for all your comments, and you apropos questions. I know that the thread is kinda starting to wander off its original subject, but since that question has been answered already I am quite keen to carry forward with the conversation.

lini...just as a note you will see in my signature below that I do have the matching CA300 for the BA3000.

First my turntables... I have Thorens TTs, 125 (x 2), 126, 145 and 160 and Marantz 6320. I also have a couple of stock Pioneers, the PL-115D and PL-117D.

Tonearms: On the 125s, 126 and 6320 I have SME 3009; on the 145 and 160C I have the stock TP 16. Pioneers are also stock.

Available Cartridges: Here is a list of most of them, many accumulated over the last few years... I really want to lighten up on the cartridge front (no one needs that many redundant carts...) so any advice on which are the keepers (yes, several are obvious: the Shure V-15 and the Stanton 881) would be appreciated as there could be some less well known 'sleepers' amongst the lot. Equally some are aging and there may be less economy in buying replacement carts when a the same $$ might be better invested in a few new carts.


SHURE MP-2 no stylus
SHURE M91ED no stylus
SHURE M91ED
SHURE M91E no stylus
SHURE M95ED
SHURE M95ED no stylus
SHURE M70EJ
SHURE M72EJ
SHURE M75EJ
SHURE M75ED
SHURE M75ED no stylus
SHURE M72EJ no stylus
SHURE M55E
SHURE M55E no stylus
SHURE V-15 III
SHURE V-15 III
SHURE V-15 IV no stylus

AUDIO-TECHNICA AT11E no stylus
AUDIO-TECHNICA AT3200, bent stylus

GRADO FT+
GRADO G-1+
GRADO PLATINUM

EMPIRE 4000XLII
EMPIRE 4000XLII
EMPIRE LTD200
EMPIRE ES70

STANTON 681
STANTON 681
STANTON 881

PICKERING XV-15

MICRO-ACOUSTICS MA2002e

ORTOFON FF15XE
ORTOFON VMS no stylus

AKG X8S


Again, thanks for your input gang.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom