• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AT-lp1240

vwdeano

Chihuahua Junkie
Been thinking, thinking, browsing, thinking some more, etc... Looking at Pro-Ject, TEAC, AT and back again. Direct drive or belt, direct drive or belt, direct drive or belt?

Finally replaced my PL-A35 with an AT-LP1240. The PL-A35 had suffered some damage in shipping and had the infamous cracked tonearm mount (nothing worse than a "floppy" arm)... It had a few other problems caused by what appeared to be an attempt to piledrive the box into my sidewalk when delivered, and I really wanted direct drive.

The AT-LP1240 and an AT100E arrived yesterday afternoon. Got everything set up and did a quick clean of Mark Knopfler's "Tracker" that came in at the same time... Sounds very, very good (to my ears) playing through an Onkyo TX-4500 Mark I and KLH 23s...

No pics yet, because I was in too much of a hurry to set it up (well, that and I'm not emotionally prepared for the lecture about the TT sitting on the receiver).

I know there have been heated discussions about these decks, but it sounds very good in my simple setup. Fully recommended-by me, anyway.
 
Register to hide this ad
Congrats on your new purchase and glad you are enjoying it. I must say I was very impressed when I listened to another AK'er, Naimnaitrod's, who has the same turntable. We listened to it with my soundsmith retipped denon 103 and it performed majestically. I was also impressed with the build quality from such a cost effective TT.

I guess those who criticize it have obviously not heard it with a great cartridge and great downstream gear such as Naimnaitrod has.

Enjoy.
 
... I guess those who criticize [the AT-LP1240] have obviously not heard it with a great cartridge and great downstream gear such as Naimnaitrod has.

Enjoy.

Well, the 1240 is the best and most expensive Super OEM turntable that Audio-Technica sells, with wow and flutter that's low enough (<0.1% JIS-weighted) that most people would never hear it, so I'm not terribly surprised that it performed well in Naimnaitrod's system. I hope the OP gets many years of musical enjoyment from his new turntable.
 
Glad to hear the OP had the good sense not to post a picture of a turntable sitting on top of the receiver, a major audio sin if there ever was one.
 
I've listened to several albums in the last day or two, and I'm very pleased with the turntable. I'm sure the cartridge won't be fully broken in for a good while, but sounds dandy to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom