• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Attaching a Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm to a Luxman PD-441/444/555

Spaziale

New Member
I was wondering if anyone has experience mounting a Micro Seiki MA-505 on a Luxman PD-441/444/555.

Looking at the PD-441 user manual regarding tonearm bases, Luxman recommends plate TP-MT for Micro Seiki MA-505 and other "tonearms whose arm-base is fixed by 3 screws".

luxman tp-mt.jpg

Looking at a MA-505, however, I don't see a 3 screw base, just one screw on the rear side of the tonearm base, and it doesn't look like it will align properly to the 6 radial notches. It lands further out.

micro seiki ma-505.jpg

I have a TP-MT arm plate replica on its way coming from audiogears.it.

luxman tp-mt repliaca.jpg

Has anyone had success with the above plates? Is drilling required?

Many thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Here is what you need to determine with what you have.

Is the hole in the arm plate large enough for the arm post to go through it and not leave lots of space around the post? One of the plates should fit better.

Is there enough space from below to tighten the nut on the arm post and not have interference from the armboard (that the plate mounts on).

If you have the room in the above and the post fits through the hole in the plate you should be able install the arm with the nut on the post. The screw you see at the back of the arm appears to be an alignment screw that can mount from below (through one of the slots on the outside of the hole) or from above into one of those slots. Mounting from below might interfere with the nut attaching properly and would need a work around which Micro Sieki identifies as a steel roll, part of the shipping materials. Any properly flat spacer of the right size could be used and a space made for the screw head. Or the screw can be mounted from above. and not so deep as to prevent the nut from landing flush and tight.

Doesn't look too bad and with the parts in front of you, you should be able to get the arm properly positioned and fully tightened to the plate and that to the armboard

Looks like an error in the information saying it has a three-bolt pattern. But the MS manual talks about these screws but only shows one. Send the whole thing my way and I'll get it set up right for you.
 
Many thanks @Blue Shadow

Is the hole in the arm plate large enough for the arm post to go through it and not leave lots of space around the post? One of the plates should fit better.
I have one each of the above plates on the way but I will have to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive. Both have a hole diameter of 28mm, which should match the tonearm post snugly.

What I'm gathering is that the nut on the base of the post should be enough if the plate is the correct dimension?
 
Yes, if the hole and post are a snug fit. You don't want the post to have room to move in the hole which is when I might go the extra to fix its position better with one of the screws. I'm sorry this is going to be easy as I was looking forward to having one of those PDs in my system. My personal favorite for looks of a normal TT is the 441. Enjoyed having that as the main table in the store back then.
 
Huge fan of the PD-441. I just acquired one in near mint condition with the original dustcover. It runs very smoothly and all the lights work.

I‘d like to replace the laminated rosewood side panels. I really want original stock panels but not sure how to go about sourcing them, other than finding another table. Second option is to have actual rosewood cut to size but I am a bit picky in finding the right shade.
 
all the lights work.

You mean the one light flashes blue or orange and then goes steady in that color based on speed selected? All the lights...It is one indicator with two LEDs,
not some gaudy cheap eq with rows and rows of colored leds imitating a spectrum analyzer.

A good exotic wood supply house should be able to find some wood that will be close enough, if that wood Luxman used is available on the market. Here I would take a sample, Luxman receiver box (best looking vinyl in the industry), a T-110 or C-1000 box with me for a match to Hearne Hardwood.
 
I have recently acquired a beautiful Luxman PD-444 and I would like to add a Micro Seiki MA-505L on the left and a MA-505 on the right. Can someone who has done this chime in with their experience and/or pictures. What arm board did you use?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2959.jpeg
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17
A few years ago, I installed a 505LS on the left rear, and a 505S on the right on my friend's Luxman PD444. Wonderful Combo, great adjustable features. Like me he has a small collection of pre-mounted headshell/cartridges, Stereo/Mono/MM/MC. I came to respect that arm a lot, as well as the wonderful turntable. You need to get and read the arm's manual before you adjust it's tracking weight and anti-skate which are so easy and accurate once you understand it.

I recall needing to find/buy large diameter washer's at a hardware store to put below the mounting plate to transfer the force when tightening the nut on the 28mm diameter arm post.

I wish I had taken photos, next time I visit, I hope to remember to do that.

I highly recommend both the Luxman PD444 and the Micro Seiki 505 Arm.

Notice the fitting for the headshell is adjustable to easily refine azimuth, a wonderful feature.
 
Back
Top Bottom