• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Attention speaker builders!!!

Ih8digital

New Member
Good afternoon ak peeps I am thinking of building a pair of speakers for my dad, he has this great Florida room and the windows that face the backyard is where I'm gonna place the speakers so the sound fills the backyard, the fire pit where the listening will take place is about 10 yards away but by plan is to build them to fit perfectly when the windows are open, any suggestions on what kind of drivers? Tweeters? Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Clarke from the Motor City
 
Register to hide this ad
You may want to start with rubber surrounds... foam surrounds are subject to the "Florida rot" due to the heat and humidity.
Perhaps consider full range drivers or coaxials which would simplify your speaker building.
 
Seeing they are for outdoors, they should be efficient, too. 100 db 1 meter 1 watt is a place to start. maybe you can find some pre-owned Altec and or JBL drivers. Altec 811 or 511 horn with a 802D driver an maybe some 416 woofers in a ported box of about 2 x 2 x2 ought to work perfectly. Finding the right crossover is the trick. I prefer a 1201 N.

For something easier a pair of 605's in the same size box would work great, too. Somw big EV coax, 12TRX or a 15 inch is another choice. Tannoy made some great 15" co-ax too. But they are pretty rare. None of these speakers have foam surrounds so you are good to go.

Audio Classics has some 12 inch Bozak woofers you could pair up with some 200Y tweeters for a smaller system. Maybe you could find some B-313's that also have a midrange, They are preetty efficient so 20 to 30 watts is all you need. But if this is to be played loudly I would stick with the Altec.
 
Last edited:
I live in Michigan lol here in Michigan we call the enclosed porch a Florida room, I was thinking of using them full spectrum drivers
You may want to start with rubber surrounds... foam surrounds are subject to the "Florida rot" due to the heat and humidity.
Perhaps consider full range drivers or coaxials which would simplify your speaker building.
 
This sounds great thanks I'm gonna take measurements and start drawing this is my first build so I'll document the whole journey, it's so nice out here in northwest Michigan but I'm gonna go inside and start my research
Seeing they are for outdoors, they should be efficient, too. 100 db 1 meter 1 watt is a place to start. maybe you can find some pre-owned Altec and or JBL drivers. Altec 811 or 511 horn with a 802D driver an maybe some 416 woofers in a ported box of about 2 x 2 x2 ought to work perfectly. Finding the right crossover is the trick. I prefer a 1201 N.

For something easier a pair of 605's in the same size box would work great, too. Somw big EV coax, 12TRX or a 15 inch is another choice. Tannoy made some great 15" co-ax too. But they are pretty rare. None of these speakers have foam surrounds so you are good to go.

Audio Classics has some 12 inch Bozak woofers you could pair up with some 200Y tweeters for a smaller system. Maybe you could find some B-313's that also have a midrange, They are preetty efficient so 20 to 30 watts is all you need. But if this is to be played loudly I would stick with the Altec.
 
Back
Top Bottom