• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-20000 screw mount main caps vs. solder lug

ToniCH

Well-Known Member
Some time ago somebody was asking in another thread that how can one use new solder lug caps in place of the original screw mounts. See pic 1 for the original setup.

There is several ways. Here is how Kale did it with great pics.

My goal was to stay screw mount. So I searched and found small M3 screw brackets from my local diy-store. Pic 2.

I test fitted them with screws to check alignment. The original copper rails have some possibility for fine tuning because of oval screw holes. Also the capacitor to frame bracket has similar possibility. And I can install the brackets to the solder tabs in a couple different ways to allow small adjustment there also. To my surprise on my first try the fit is perfect. See pic 3. :banana:

So, I took the screws off and soldered the M3 -screw brackets on. New setup (on left, 100V 22000uF) vs the original, pic 4.

I will post the final installation pic tomorrow after I have bought some M3 star-washers.

EDIT Note to all who plan to swap the caps: the originals are Nichicon 80V 22000uF 76x100mm. I chose Nichicon Gold Tune 100V 22000uFs because they are good quality, the same size and were on sale at Percy ;)
 

Attachments

  • AU20K_original_caps.jpg
    AU20K_original_caps.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 57
  • AU20K_m3_brackets.jpg
    AU20K_m3_brackets.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 64
  • AU20K_with_brackets.jpg
    AU20K_with_brackets.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 66
  • AU20K_new_vs_old.jpg
    AU20K_new_vs_old.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
ToniCH.....
Where did you fine these beauties???!!!!

I bought them from here. Its our local vacuum tube and DIY amp/instrument -store.

I see they are also available here. Coincidentally they seem have the same theme.

I am sure something like that is available in USA too. You just need to figure out the right words to search with. It doesn't have to be M3 thread, it can be something else as long as they match the solder lugs well enough to be soldered properly. I seeked M3 because most of my electronics use M3 screws and I have plenty in stock. However the original AU20K cap screws are bigger, maybe 4mm but I didn't measure them.

One could even make them. Just cut and bend some copper and make a thread if its thick enough or solder a nut and your done.

This is really an easy DIY job but sometimes it seems that the easiest jobs feel difficult until you see some of the possible the solutions.
 
Last edited:
And here is the promised photo of the completed swap. Perfect fit! :)
 

Attachments

  • AU20K_main_caps_done.jpg
    AU20K_main_caps_done.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 37
So far 1 US seller $8.25 per bracket ( that's more then the output transistors!!!) ahh but free shipping.....PPPHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT.
 
So far 1 US seller $8.25 per bracket ( that's more then the output transistors!!!) ahh but free shipping..
If you run out of options, cannot find anybody reasonable and reallyreally want them I can go buy some extras and post them to you. I don't need any profit so its USD 0.5 each + few bucks for postage.
 
I REALLY WANT EM.......Send me a PM and I'll pay pal you!!
Almost done with the truck I'm reviving.. so back to the AU 20K SOON
 
Back
Top Bottom