• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-717 Main Cap Spec

Kuelblaz

New Member
Hey all, I am trying to confirm Main Cap specs. From my service manual, original Main Caps are 15,000uF, 63V, EC. I have not torn the amp down yet. I am in "research & information gathering mode." In the LeeStereo AU-717 restoration thread Ben says "For future reference, a good "drop-in" replacement currently being manufactured is the Nichicon KG (Gold Tune) 15,000µF/63V capacitor, which uses solder lugs and is of the same 40mm diameter as the originals. (LeeStereo)." I have downloaded the datasheet (attached) and found there are Type I, II (both Gold Tune), and Type III (Super Through). During my research, I seem to remember reading in a thread the the original output caps were 85mm in length, but of course I didn't document it. In the datasheet the only Gold Tune in 15000uF/63v is a Type I, which is 40mm x 68mm (pn LKG1J153MKNF). The Type II Gold Tune is 40 × 100 (pn LKG1H153MKN). From what I have read all recommendations (including the datasheet) are for the Type II, but I don't know that 100mm height will fit. I understand there are compatible Kemets. I just wanted to follow up on Ben's recommendation.
Thank you in advance, K.
 

Attachments

Register to hide this ad
Not a lot of options in 40mm diameter spec which is important due to space constraints. I have used Kemet caps (10mm lug) , works perfectly in AU 717.

Kemet ALT 40mm

"Reasonable" pricing given current circumstances.
+1

Kemets are good caps. I don't recall how much "wiggle" room you have height wise, but I don't think it is a lot.
 
+1

Kemets are good caps. I don't recall how much "wiggle" room you have height wise, but I don't think it is a lot.
If I recall correctly the chassis holes for the four capacitors, are 'clear' holes that will allow the capacitor cans to be mounted lower than the chassis level. I believe this would give at least 10mm 'wiggle room' should this be needed. Having said that I think the originals were 100mm tall, so there should be no problem with the vast majority of replacement candidates. At least 15 years ago :yikes: when I reconditioned my own AU-717, (was it as long ago as that!?) I used 15,000µF, 63V Nichicon KG Gold - which are 40mm x 100mm - identical to the originals size-wise.

I bought them from 'Michael Percy Audio' - who are still selling them. :)
 
Last edited:
...During my research, I seem to remember reading in a thread the the original output caps were 85mm in length, but of course I didn't document it. In the datasheet the only Gold Tune in 15000uF/63v is a Type I, which is 40mm x 68mm (pn LKG1J153MKNF). The Type II Gold Tune is 40 × 100 (pn LKG1H153MKN). From what I have read all recommendations (including the datasheet) are for the Type II, but I don't know that 100mm height will fit. I understand there are compatible Kemets...
To confirm, the original main capacitors in the AU-717 do measure 40mm x 100mm. Either Nichicon KG capacitor types mentioned will function as "drop-in" replacements, as is the Kemet ALT22A153DE063; the Kemet capacitor was not mentioned in my original AK restoration thread since they were not readily available on Mouser or Digi-Key at the time (Feb., 2015).

717 cap.jpg
 
Thank you pspooky and mrk329. Appreciate the info!
Ben, I had forgotten about the clamps ... Thank you for confirming the original cap height. I remember reading your restoration post a number of years ago with great interest.
At the time I only my original 717, which I purchased from a friend's sister. She got in her divorce but had no use for it when I saw it sitting on a small table, almost like a decoration. Think I paid a couple hundred bucks for it back in 1981 (I was 19yo). I had no idea what I had purchased. I bought it because it looked BadA.. and I thought it would drive my homemade speakers, which were rather over-built. It sounded so fantastic!
At the time, I worked for guy who owned the local car hifi/ car stereo shop. He brought it into his back shop for a once over and declared that is was almost new! I've had that amp with me ever since.
Sadly, I haven't had it hooked for many years now. After reading your restoration post, I unpacked it from its sarcophagus, took the lids off and discovered much glue damage. That was as far as I got. I packed it backup, but it was on my radar. Since then I've acquired two additional 717s and seems like its time to get started working on them. I'm in research mode now, going through 29 pages of your restoration post. 29 pages of gold ... Thank you, so much, for kicking it all off.
 
Back
Top Bottom