• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-9900 preamp section vs CA-2000

Yggdrasill

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Are there any differences among the preamp sections of the Professional Series (CA-2000, AU-9900, AU-11000, Au-20000)? And for nitpickers, yes, I know that the AU-20000 was also listed as part of the Definition Series.

I have an AU-9900 and would eventually like to get one of the Definition amps, ideally a BA-3000. I was thinking of running it through the 9900 as a preamp instead going to the bother of selling the 9900 and acquiring a CA-2000. The specs look the same except for the AU-20000, so I'm wondering about the sound.
 
Register to hide this ad
It has been said the AU-11000 is like the CA/BA-2000 combo whereas the AU-20000 is essentially a CA/BA-3000 combo.

With that said, the AU-9900 and AU-11000 share the same circuit boards. Both models even share the same service manual and pre-amp schematic diagram.
 
Are there any differences among the preamp sections of the Professional Series (CA-2000, AU-9900, AU-11000, Au-20000)? And for nitpickers, yes, I know that the AU-20000 was also listed as part of the Definition Series.

I have an AU-9900 and would eventually like to get one of the Definition amps, ideally a BA-3000. I was thinking of running it through the 9900 as a preamp instead going to the bother of selling the 9900 and acquiring a CA-2000. The specs look the same except for the AU-20000, so I'm wondering about the sound.

Are your speakers really hungry?
the AU 9900 is a really fine amp as it is, seems a waste to use it as a pre.
The CA 3000 also will give you more options for sources, but will cost a few $ to obtain.
The differance in power {about 90 to 170} is substantial, but typical listening levels for me never exceed about 10 watts.
So then the discussion moves to appearance and bragging rights, and that would indicate you will want the seperate pre and power units anyway.
I'd keep the 9900 in either event. What a great backup if something goes on the blink...
Casey
 
The CA3000 has issues with feedthrus on the mother board and tone board that go bad and become intermittant. This causes intermittant channels and is very time consuming (read expensive) to repair. The entire motherboard must be removed and a wire soldered through every feedthru. The AU9900 and AU11000 don't have these issues and sound wonderful.
 
Are your speakers really hungry?
the AU 9900 is a really fine amp as it is, seems a waste to use it as a pre.
The CA 3000 also will give you more options for sources, but will cost a few $ to obtain.
The differance in power {about 90 to 170} is substantial, but typical listening levels for me never exceed about 10 watts.
So then the discussion moves to appearance and bragging rights, and that would indicate you will want the seperate pre and power units anyway.
I'd keep the 9900 in either event. What a great backup if something goes on the blink...
Casey

Casey,

You're right, I confess, I don't need more power. I have another amp that takes care of that anyway. But the Definition Series is just so nice looking with those meters, and I'm a fan of black and silver Sansui. I'm just speculating. :scratch2:

Thor
 
The CA3000 has issues with feedthrus on the mother board and tone board that go bad and become intermittant. This causes intermittant channels and is very time consuming (read expensive) to repair. The entire motherboard must be removed and a wire soldered through every feedthru. The AU9900 and AU11000 don't have these issues and sound wonderful.

Warren,

Thanks for the head's up about the CA-3000. But I was really asking about the CA-2000 because it seems very close in form and function to the pre sections of the 9900 and 11000.

And CA-3000s are rare enough that I wouldn't want to pay the going price.

Cheers!

Thor
 
Warren,

Thanks for the head's up about the CA-3000. But I was really asking about the CA-2000 because it seems very close in form and function to the pre sections of the 9900 and 11000.

And CA-3000s are rare enough that I wouldn't want to pay the going price.

Cheers!

Thor

Warren would know, he reworked mine. It's a wonderful unit. But also rare enough to be spendy. The meters look good, perched above the BA3k meters.
Patience will be your friend, my set landed in my lap from a CL ad...
 
The CA3000 has issues with feedthrus on the mother board and tone board that go bad and become intermittant. This causes intermittant channels and is very time consuming (read expensive) to repair. The entire motherboard must be removed and a wire soldered through every feedthru. The AU9900 and AU11000 don't have these issues and sound wonderful.

Warren isn't joking - sweet lord it's a chore to pull the motherboard out of a CA-3000! :sigh:
 
Back
Top Bottom