• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

AU-999 Serial Number

dawgkeeper51

Active Member
I have a Au-999 that the serial number label is missing on the rear panel. Is there another place on the fram that the serial would be stamped on?
I'm just trying to find out as much information abot my AU-999 as I can.
Thanks for the help
Ron
 
Register to hide this ad
All I can tell you is something you most likely already know. I think it was released in Feb, 1970 (although some reports on the database say 1967) and produced into 1973. It took over from the AU-777 (1968) as being Sansui's TOL. Manufacturing date is probably the only worthwhile info you want to garnish from the serial number, unless you'd also like to know the code for the manufacturing plant.
 
I appreciate the info guys. I was thinking along the line that the only serial # was as Ernie Harwell would say................."It's Long Gone"
I guess my brain fart got the best of me.
Thanks
Ron
 
I saw mention about little stickers behind the faceplate that can indicate a date of manufacture. Ive found a few behind mid 70's machines, and as far as I can remember it does hold true, the only issue is that the date is in the Japanese calendar

so on a au-2900 I've got, the back serial (856110836) has it down as year '76 month 11
the sticker behind the faceplate, the MD number is 5191640,
which I am guessing is 16-09-51

http://www.hanga.com/exhibit.cfm?ID=11

the '51' refers to the year 51 in the showa period, which was 1976, could the rest of the numbers refer to month and day the faceplace was finished?
 
The Showa period is Hirohito's rule. The Emperor of Japan at the time. Japanese dating systems start with the Kanji (character) of the reign followed by year, month day.

Look into it but the numbers sound right. Hirohito's reign was 50 years or more. In that case It would be September 16, 1976 (if you reckon...i forget the formular...sounds about right)

(Thumbs up!)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom