• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU317 Restoration...

Kale - your pictures were great before....but now your pictures are awesome! Something has changed maybe :scratch2:

OK, the volume pot in post 18, is that cleaned already? If not can we see a pic of the volume pot after you cleaned it?
 
Au317ii

Kale - your pictures were great before....but now your pictures are awesome! Something has changed maybe :scratch2:

OK, the volume pot in post 18, is that cleaned already? If not can we see a pic of the volume pot after you cleaned it?

I had some problems with my digital camera Konica Minolta, and some of pictures was taken by my mobile phone, and that is the reason why I dont have a picture after I cleaned wafer of volume pot... sorry...
 
Au317ii

And Main Power Capacitors....
Here I have to say that I could not put the same capacitors as on the AU317 (without "II"), because AU317 hs power supply voltage + - 42V and there you can pot great Nichicon KG Gold Tune 10000uF / 50V, BUT AU317II has power supply voltage +- 47.5V and it will be very risky put the same capacitors, so I decided to put BHC Silt Foil 10000uF / 80V capacitors, very good capacitors too!

PICT1015.jpg


PICT1016.jpg


BTW, do you maybe know where I can buy them, because www.dnm.co.uk and www.audiocap.net doesnt has them.
 
Great!

On post #20, third picture, you used the orange caps. Which type are they?

And also the 4x 150 ohms fuse resistors?
 
Great!

On post #20, third picture, you used the orange caps. Which type are they?

And also the 4x 150 ohms fuse resistors?

Those orange capacitors are made by Nippon Chemicon, and those resistors are metal film resistors made by Holco
 
Au317ii

Okay, let's continue...

About main power supply capacitors... because they have different raster than old ones, I must adopt snap in capacitors contacts to the board, and here it is the result:

PICT1017.jpg


... not bad :D
 
AU317II testing

And finally testing...

PICT1019.jpg


here it is the picture of rectangular wave frequency of 10kHz which I took from speakers output

PICT1021.jpg


and the same type of signal but frequency 20kHz

PICT1022.jpg


measurement of distortion - test signal sinus wave 1kHz - speakers output - power 1W - and as you can see, distortion is 0.13%

PICT1023.jpg


Here I have to say, that is total sum of distortion; amplifier + ton generator distortion.

And distortion on about 10W 1kHz with 8 ohm dummy load, 0.11%

PICT1024.jpg
 
I thought you were on vacation, and you secretly doing restoration :scratch2:
Excellent job as usual...you really spoiled us :thmbsp:
 
Very nice work Kale!

When I fitted the 10000uf 80v slit foils to my AU-X701, I bought them from DNM. They only had four left though, and this was many months ago, so I am not surprised that the have run out of capacitors.

They are very good capacitors indeed.

Partsconnexion appear to have them in stock, but they are $60 each.
 
I thought you were on vacation, and you secretly doing restoration :scratch2:
This amp has been in my closet since last April, and it was a job what I had to do. After this AU317, I have some partial refresh on one AUX1, and after that, I am going on vacation with restoration on Sansuies for a long time, except for my Sansui devices... I really dont have time to doing that
 
When I fitted the 10000uf 80v slit foils to my AU-X701, I bought them from DNM. They only had four left though, and this was many months ago, so I am not surprised that the have run out of capacitors.

They are very good capacitors indeed.

Partsconnexion appear to have them in stock, but they are $60 each.
Old information about Partsconnexion :(
 
And, at the end ... what I have changed...

...

PICT1034.jpg

Since the AU-X1 restoration I was really curious with the TRs. Here, with an AU-317II, did you only replace the TRs with same types or you replaced them for newer type ones? I see also the 4 diodes in this model...
 
Kale - Your restoration work on this AU-317 Mk2 is simply S-U-P-E-R-B and thorough (and lets not forget those clear detailed pic's too) - :thmbsp:

Liked the way you modded the PCB to accept the two snap-in main large PSU Electrolytics (I take it these cap's have a lead pitch/spacing of 10mm) - This is something I may do when I exhaust my Panasonic 4-Pin's.
 
Hi Kale,

Since you have devices to read the distortion of the amplifier produce,did you measure how much does the total power that the AU 317 can produce,i feel it can produce more then 50w.Anyway i just send mine to a tech for recapping.

Thanks
 
Hi Kale,

Since you have devices to read the distortion of the amplifier produce,did you measure how much does the total power that the AU 317 can produce,i feel it can produce more then 50w.Anyway i just send mine to a tech for recapping.

Thanks
Sorry for late answer... no, I didnt measure distortion on full power, but I did test to clipping (with dummy resistor 8 ohm / 250W on output), just to be sure is it all OK.
 
Hi, I just finished restoration of another AU-317. What a wonderful sound! But there was no tin protective shield above preamp boards. Maybe somebody forgot to mount it after replacing the fuse resistors. So if anyone can give me the size and thickness of that shield I could try to make a new one? And is it aluminum or iron?
 
Back
Top Bottom