• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio Analogue Donizetti Power Amp - No Sound

audioreclaim

New Member
Good evening -

Just a quick one before I write this amplifier off and sell it for spares/repairs.

I recently found a trio of Audio Analogue Paganini/Bellini/Donizetti separates. The CD player and Pre-amp both work perfectly.

The Donizetti power amplifier is however giving me no sound. It powers on out of standby and the light on the front goes from red to yellow as per normal. However I don't hear a click. Should I certainly hear a click?

I have tested all the fuses with a multimeter and they all work.

My second question is - is the way I have wired the speaker cables the correct way, or do I need proper biwire cables of some sort to hear sound?

Apologies for the n00b questions, it would be amazing to hear some music from this thing.

IMG_20210831_184230.jpg
IMG_20210831_182314.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The way you have it wired should produce sound (the Bi-Wire connections are optional), though I'm a bit scared of that wire - looks like something that came with a pair of car audio door speakers :-)

I see a pair of relays in the first picture, so I would expect to hear a click or clicks when it comes out of protection after powering on.

John
 
Thanks John, wise words. I think I will move on from this one and accept that it isn't coming out of protection mode.
 
Good evening -

Just a quick one before I write this amplifier off and sell it for spares/repairs.

I recently found a trio of Audio Analogue Paganini/Bellini/Donizetti separates. The CD player and Pre-amp both work perfectly.

The Donizetti power amplifier is however giving me no sound. It powers on out of standby and the light on the front goes from red to yellow as per normal. However I don't hear a click. Should I certainly hear a click?

I have tested all the fuses with a multimeter and they all work.

My second question is - is the way I have wired the speaker cables the correct way, or do I need proper biwire cables of some sort to hear sound?

Apologies for the n00b questions, it would be amazing to hear some music from this thing.

View attachment 2330313
View attachment 2330314
Hi,

Perhaps a little late but...

Yellow light means the speaker protection circuit has detected a fault, and therefore keeps the speaker relay open. Most likely one of the output transistors is gone (the fuses in the Donizetti are not fast enough to protect the output transistors...). The speaker protection then kicks in to avoid DC current to destroy your speakers.

You should hear a 'click' and the front LED should jump to green if everything is OK.

Fixing the transistors is a simple repair. Schematics can be found here: http://www.analogue-repair.it/

All the best,
Martin
 
Back
Top Bottom