• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio component repair

Brad Anbro

New Member
Hello all,

I have some older stereo components that are in need of repair - a Crown (Elkhart, IN) preamplifier, a Kenwood STR-D790 receiver and a Sony CDP-302 CD player.

Are there any concerns that still repair audio components? Thank you very much for any help with this!

Brad
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Take your personal information out of the thread
Edit box at bottom
There are repair shops and individuals.
Why don't you restart thread with your region
 
Welcome to AK, you will certainly find some help here to locate a tech.
But ya, remove your private info quick - it will be harvested and you'll have 10 spam calls every day for the rest of your life.
MODS, if OP isn't back tonight, you should remove his info.
 
I was just glancing at the units you're looking to get serviced. I don't know whether you're attached to them for some reason. If you know somebody who works on them locally it might be worth your while. Most shops have bench fees ( flat rate to take in , write up, troubleshoot, and create estimate). ( this is usually factored in the repair if opt to do it).
I suspect repairs on these can quite possibly exceed their values. You should probably ask the shop their fee schedule . You might be better off replacing. I'm not trying to be a downer. I just want you to go into the process with your eyes open.
 
I suspect repairs on these can quite possibly exceed their values. You should probably ask the shop their fee schedule . You might be better off replacing.
Agreed, especially regarding the receiver (it appears to be Sony, not Kenwood) and CD player. The receiver is Pro-Logic and has very little value (very few Prologic receivers have much value), and the CD player is just an early, fairly basic player. You could probably replace both with better models purchased on eBay for less than what the initial troubleshooting fee would be at a repair shop. The Crown preamp may be a different matter, depending on what model it is and what's wrong with it. Please post more details.
 
Yes, you are correct - the receiver is a Sony. I do not know why I thought that it was a Kenwood.

I was using the receiver out in my garage, along with a CD player, and it was powering a pair of OLD Olson floor-standing speakers and a pair of cheap Jensen 15" systems - for when I want some sound when I am working out there for long periods of time. What I liked about the Sony receiver was that it could produce a lot of power and it had special "sound-enhancing" capabilities, so that a graphic equalizer was not necessary.

The Sony CD player was Sony's second-generation of CD players and it would only play one disc at a time. It cost $450 new and unlike the CD players that are produced now, the CDP-302 was actually made out of metal and weighed quite a bit. The only thing wrong with the CD player is that it suffers from a mechanical problem. When I push the button to make the CD tray come out, it gets about 1/2 way out and hits some kind of a obstruction. Other than that, it works just fine.

The Crown (Crown International; Elkhart, Indiana) IC-150 preamp is a spare, to go along with a spare Crown DC-300A power amp.

That is the story behind the components...
 
" The only thing wrong with the CD player is that it suffers from a mechanical problem. When I push the button to make the CD tray come out, it gets about 1/2 way out and hits some kind of a obstruction. Other than that, it works just fine."

I'm not an expert, but possibly a belt and/or lubrication problem. You MIGHT be able to do those yourself depending on how handy you are.
I could be wrong.

And your general location might be helpful if you do want to get them serviced "close by" if there are shops in your area that AK'ers recommend.
 
Back
Top Bottom