• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

audio from HDMI

RogerA

Active Member
Recently transitioned from a Raspberry Pi 4 to a Pi 5. Unfortunately the audio out on the Pi 5 is non existent. I used to listen to some audio, mostly podcasts via the headphone jack. I listened to my Pandora music through a Windows 10 all-in-one Dell PC (piece of crap!) but the audio was pretty decent for near field listening through my 6MB8 tube stereo amp. Very sweet sounding.

Okay, now I want to ditch the Windows PC and stream Pandora through the Pi 5. So I either need to buy an IS2 DAC (Pi-HAT) or something to get decent quality audio. I bought a medium priced HDMI audio extractor, and while it works, it is not the quality of the Windows PC audio out device, which I believe is 24 bit 192kHz.

Anyway, is there a 'better' HDMI extractor? Mine is a China cheapo, although it is rated for 4k at 60Hz, so it should not be limited in output ability. It has an optical digital output, but my amp is analog in only.

Looking to see, if there is a different solution. My options for a DAC HAT for the Pi are limited as I already have a SSD card and case that limits access to the GPIO. Just curious to see if anyone has gotten good quality audio from HDMI, I know is is limited to less that top performance, but still should be as good as the Wndows output shouldn't it?

Roger
 
Register to hide this ad
Recently transitioned from a Raspberry Pi 4 to a Pi 5. Unfortunately the audio out on the Pi 5 is non existent. I used to listen to some audio, mostly podcasts via the headphone jack. I listened to my Pandora music through a Windows 10 all-in-one Dell PC (piece of crap!) but the audio was pretty decent for near field listening through my 6MB8 tube stereo amp. Very sweet sounding.

Okay, now I want to ditch the Windows PC and stream Pandora through the Pi 5. So I either need to buy an IS2 DAC (Pi-HAT) or something to get decent quality audio. I bought a medium priced HDMI audio extractor, and while it works, it is not the quality of the Windows PC audio out device, which I believe is 24 bit 192kHz.

Anyway, is there a 'better' HDMI extractor? Mine is a China cheapo, although it is rated for 4k at 60Hz, so it should not be limited in output ability. It has an optical digital output, but my amp is analog in only.

Looking to see, if there is a different solution. My options for a DAC HAT for the Pi are limited as I already have a SSD card and case that limits access to the GPIO. Just curious to see if anyone has gotten good quality audio from HDMI, I know is is limited to less that top performance, but still should be as good as the Wndows output shouldn't it?

Roger
Simplified DAC 1.....it has analog out. I have one that i no longer use....
 
I mean, I send HDMI to my receiver and get 24/192 up to 7.1 and it drives my 5.1.2 atmos speaker setup. Sounds excellent.
You have the SPDIF output from the audio extractor so you can probably get a very solid DAC for under $200 that would make the most of that, give you maybe more inputs and possibly Bluetooth connectivity or more. I’ve had a few DACs over the years and my go to stereo DAC was about $500 at the time and it sounds amazing with everything I pair it with.


Something like this, not super cheap but not crazy, puts you on the edge of diminishing returns. Multiple inputs, hdmi, line and balanced outputs, good built in power supply and decent output voltage. Excellent DAC chip and decoding for ultra high res, mqa, DSD, etc. Bluetooth too, and a remote. I have an older M500, it sounds outstanding and this has better specs except for output voltage, but this has plenty there, especially if your amp accepts balanced in. You may not need another DAC for quite some time with something like this.
 
For my RPi Zero 2W build, I bought a USB DAC to Headphone Adapter. For $10 or less, this is a viable option.

I bought the Apple Headphone Adapter for $10. It worked well, but the output is 1/2 of what is normally expected. Audio Science Review of the Apple dongle is not bad: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

I bought the iNassen USB to headphone adapter for less than $10. It worked very well with good output double that of Apple's adapter.

I was happy with both dongles, but I ended up with a Allo MiniBOSS DAC for not much more ($45).

I also tried an inexpensive HDMI extractor. It was convenient, but, like OP, I wanted better.
 
I want to ditch the Windows PC and stream Pandora through the Pi 5. So I either need to buy an <snip> Pi-HAT or something to get decent quality audio.
OK ... so why frame the solution within the constraints of it being an HDMI interface? USB has been the go-to interface for sound quality since the mid/late-2000's, and your rPi has USB.
An entry level USB DAC/headphone amp (circa US$100) from one of the well regarded manufacturers will most likely get you the quality you're looking for - eg. SMSL DS100, Topping DX1.
 
OK ... so why frame the solution within the constraints of it being an HDMI interface? USB has been the go-to interface for sound quality since the mid/late-2000's, and your rPi has USB.
An entry level USB DAC/headphone amp (circa US$100) from one of the well regarded manufacturers will most likely get you the quality you're looking for - eg. SMSL DS100, Topping DX1.

Indeed, grab yourself a simple USB DAC and headphone amp as noted above and you're sorted! No need to bother with HDMI in this application.

Only just last week I built a RPi 5 to act as the streamer for my main audio rig, feeding a USB-based digital stage, and it performs fantastically well. I'm running the Snakeoil OS which is optimised for audio.
 
well, here is where I am. Looked at how I had set everything up. I had been running the HDMI output at full volume. The output was way more than needed to drive my 6BM8 tube amp. I reduced the volume out on the HDMI audio extractor and now I have the kind of quality I was used to. Very satisfied.

I will look at a USB DAC.
 
When you mentioned "headphone jack" I presumed you were listening with headphones and would require a DAC with headphone output ...

my 6BM8 tube amp
It sounds like you have some high end gear. So I suggest you might aim to buy the Topping E30II - it's something of a benchmark for entry level DAC's.
 
Back
Top Bottom