• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Audio Grade"?

Your right ..but my point is. If you have trashy power entering your domecile it really doesn´t matter what material you have for the breaker boxes,circiut breakers,house wiring power cords and plugs or even fuses..Whitout a proper filter the trash will still be there even with a dedicated drop to your system. Isolation and filtering...Key

I thought about this for a while and I see your logic. I have power cords that clean up my sound quality.... or do they? I can't remember the last time I plugged them directly to the wall outlet. They all go into the power conditioner.

:scratch2:

Thank you
for posting this and clearly explaining your meaning. When I have some time I'm going to play around some and see what happens. :)
 
Your right ..but my point is. If you have trashy power entering your domecile it really doesn´t matter what material you have for the breaker boxes,circiut breakers,house wiring power cords and plugs or even fuses..Whitout a proper filter the trash will still be there even with a dedicated drop to your system. Isolation and filtering...Key

Ok I see what you meant.
 
As others have mentioned, I find no sense in making a nice clean path for God-only-knows-what that is coming in from the pole. I would invest time, energy, or other resources on isolation and filtering to clean up the source from Edison before I bothered to put any GOLD in an "untreated" path.

I'd also do some before and after measurements using an oscilloscope and a spectrum analyzer to determine what Edison's source looks (sounds?) like and what improvement is coming out the other end of the isolation and filtering.
 
As others have mentioned, I find no sense in making a nice clean path for God-only-knows-what that is coming in from the pole. I would invest time, energy, or other resources on isolation and filtering to clean up the source from Edison before I bothered to put any GOLD in an "untreated" path.

That's a good point, but it would be nice if one of us had actually used this thing and could report what, if anything, happened.
 
Funny...'audio grade' in most other industry = 1 step above reject. Other than that, I have no problem with people blowing their cash on whatever trips their trigger. If I think it's goofy, I'll wait till I leave to giggle.
 
Funny...'audio grade' in most other industry = 1 step above reject.

I'd presume audio grade would be something designed for audio enjoyment.

Hospital grade is something designed for hospitals.

Is there an industrial grade? I think so.... I know that 20 amp is for machinery. I've seen heavy duty (orange) wall outlets....

So each one of these would be a step above average household use.
 
I'd presume audio grade would be something designed for audio enjoyment.

Hospital grade is something designed for hospitals.

Is there an industrial grade? I think so.... I know that 20 amp is for machinery. I've seen heavy duty (orange) wall outlets....

So each one of these would be a step above average household use.

Don't forget the unholy marriage of hospital grade and audio grade, most notably in plug form! ;)
 
Don't forget the unholy marriage of hospital grade and audio grade, most notably in plug form!

You're right! Very much so!!! :yes:

It's well known that hospital grade can take care of audio grade but audio grade is just too loud for hospital grade! Not a pretty sight, I'll tell ya!!!
 
As others have mentioned, I find no sense in making a nice clean path for God-only-knows-what that is coming in from the pole. I would invest time, energy, or other resources on isolation and filtering to clean up the source from Edison before I bothered to put any GOLD in an "untreated" path.

I'd also do some before and after measurements using an oscilloscope and a spectrum analyzer to determine what Edison's source looks (sounds?) like and what improvement is coming out the other end of the isolation and filtering.

I have seen some measurements of noise and such on the AC side, and some products, like line conditioners/filters certainly can reduce it. I don't think that has ever been in debate.

However, the working circuits of an audio device almost certainly work on DC. So, if we're going to measure and graph and analyze, lets measure, graph, and analyze the quality of the DC coming out of the audio component's power supply before and after hooking up to a "audio grade" receptacle, power cord, line conditioner, etc. :scratch2:
 
Cut and paste from Wiki...

Color code
The color of a device does not identify the voltage class or power system for the device. Since the colors are not regulated by national standards, the purpose of color-coding a receptacle is set by the building owner. Brown, ivory, white, almond, grey, and black receptacles in the 5–15 configuration are selected to blend with the decor of a room.

Blue receptacles may indicate built-in surge suppressors.
A red receptacle may indicate a special-service outlet such as one connected to an emergency standby power source.
At least one manufacturer makes a yellow receptacle which identifies it as corrosion-resistant.
A receptacle with a green dot is a so-called “hospital grade” device; such devices are tested to survive harder use than wiring devices intended for residential or commercial purposes. The NEMA standard does not define green as a color for wiring devices.

A receptacle with an orange triangle is an isolated ground device, where the grounding pin of the receptacle is connected to ground independently of the frame of the receptacle and wiring outlet box. The receptacle itself may be any color, but contrary to popular belief, a receptacle is no longer an isolated ground device because the receptacle itself is orange, although this was formerly the case in the United States
 
I was just getting at this box will do you absolutely no good. Gold plated buss bars and outlets and breakers? Just buy hospital/data grade. These are good outlets. Are you going to run gold or silver wire for 120/240v @60Hz sometimes moer than 200' no you are going to use copper. Do you have aluminum in your house then yes put copper or bare minimum put copper pigtails on (don't forget the deoxit) the outlet.

Really you are asking for more corrosion than anything. I have been involved in the electrical side of things for some time and I can tell you that a mixture of metals will just give you problems. I am not saying not to buy it. just that we are talking a single frequency not variable.

Now careful planing and installation of an electrical system in a house will give you years of reliable operation with no degradation from what comes in. This box will not do that for you unless it is installed with careful planning and installation and at that point you should just put in a standard panel that you can get parts for at your local home center or electrical supply house.

I realize that I will get flamed for this but I just wonder why:scratch2:

Your post is typical of those who make judgements about audio tweaks without ever having experience with the product. I have used audio grade outlets, plugs, power cords and balanced isolation transformers with my high end 2-channel system for quite some time and find they have all brought performance improvements. Twenty years ago, if someone had told me these things would have made a positive difference, I would have had a good laugh. Please see the following posts.

Posts in a thread on Audiogon Forums by audio engineer Ralph Karsten, the manufacturer of multiple award winning Atma-Sphere high end audio components, with technical explanations of why those few feet of power cord make a difference: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1249822202&openusid&zzAtmasphere&4&5#Atmasphere

Series of posts on the effects of power cables and power line conditioners, with technical measurements and 'scope screenshots. The author is an audio enthusiast and professor of EE.:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71333

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71382

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71545
 
Last edited:
Glen, with all due respect, Atma-Sphere's comments aren't really any astounding technical insight. If the OEM ships an inadequate gauge power cord on a huge amp, yeah, you're probably going to get voltage drop that will, or at least can, affect the amp's performance...but so will the 50ft of 14ga or 12ga wire in the wall even more so. FWIW, to create 3V drop in a 14ga, 6ft power cord, on a 120V circuit, you'd have to pull ~80A of current.

As far as the information from Polk Audio, yeah, saw that. That's the work I eluded to in an earlier post. But, really, so what? Has it ever been in dispute that power conditioners can clean up AC? I think not, generally speaking. There seems to be a great effort to prove the effect on what comes out of the power cord or conditioner, but how about a corresponding level of testing to validate correlation to what comes out of the amp's power supply or speaker terminals?

I'm going to re-read it later on and see if some of my memory from the previous reading are as I recall them.

One point I don't know is, was all the testing done with controlled elements, or did the normal fluctuations of voltage and line noise introduce a high degree of variability as seems to be suggested by some of the writer's comments.

My point is not to bash power cords or line conditioning, but let's try to understand if the testing is truly meaningful, not just a good old case of "wow, looks impressive, must be right" type of situation.
 
Last edited:
Typically I have 122 vac per leg coming into my house at 12 noon. At 6pm I have between 115 and 118vac. This is because every one is home cooking dinner and so on. How are you going to deal with this?

This variance will affect how your equipment will do as specs say it will do. Can you hear this voltage fluctuation maybe maybe not.

Take car equipment for example. There is quite a difference in output of amps in cars when they are not running ie 12 volts. Start the car and you have 14.4 volts (if your alternator is working properly) your amp preforms better.

Yes car equipment is more susceptible because of the lower voltage but the effect is the same. It degrades the performance of the piece of equipment. Less efficient. Voltage drop is your enemy. not much voltage drop in 3 ft but undersized wire will be even more so evident.

This just brings me to apply proven theories instead of hype.

For example CAT5 and above has been proven to reduce crosstalk and outside interference between pairs because these are typically ran longer distances so by trial and error the cabling industry has found a solution to the problem.

If people want to buy $1000 power cables and distribution centers ok. I would rather get more equipment for my money.:D
 
Typically I have 122 vac per leg coming into my house at 12 noon. At 6pm I have between 115 and 118vac. This is because every one is home cooking dinner and so on. How are you going to deal with this?

There are line conditioners that regulate voltage as part of their function.
 
I looked at this, but then thought the power lines running into the house and my neighbors leaching off the circuit, so I restrung it all with Monster cable 4/0 and terminated the neighbors. My sound is so great now I hear sirens, hmmm.:D
 
I do know this but to get or stay at 122vac you will need batteries (like a ups) you can not get more from less without sacrificing something, in this case current.

If using a ups then you will typically get a simulated sine wave (square)instead of a True sine wave. Do not use a standard UPS for your audio equipment.

You will need a Pure sine-wave UPS/conditioner. These get expensive because it costs allot more to make a pure sine wave. When going from AC-DC-AC this becomes a challenge because of the wave form of AC.

The likes of the power company (Xcel here in Denver) really do not care if your power is spot on. They will say it is within our specs. Somewhere about +-3-5%. Because of that our manufactures of our beloved audio equipment have designed our equipment to except this fluctuation and still operate to a satisfactory level.


I do agree that power conditioning has/will become the norm for us striving to achieve the best performance from our equipment which brings me back to my original thought on this thread. Installing a gold plated breaker box will not help without first fixing your supply.

So instead buy good power conditioners with your money run one or more dedicated circuits to your equipment then put your power conditioners then see if your $500 power cable makes a difference.:yes:
 
I looked at this, but then thought the power lines running into the house and my neighbors leaching off the circuit, so I restrung it all with Monster cable 4/0 and terminated the neighbors. My sound is so great now I hear sirens, hmmm.:D


Saaweet!!:banana:

:lmao:
 
You're right! Very much so!!! :yes:

It's well known that hospital grade can take care of audio grade but audio grade is just too loud for hospital grade! Not a pretty sight, I'll tell ya!!!

Last time I was in a hospital I couldn't help myself from checking out the outlets. Is that strange?
 
Back
Top Bottom