• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio reel is backward and I need a process to get it right again

MakeMineDigi

New Member
I have a digitizing business and every once in awhile someone hands me a 1/4-inch audio reel where apparently the take-up reel was used as the source reel and now the tape is playing backwards. Calling the source reel "A" and the "up"-facing side "A-1" and the down-facing side "A-2" (and the take-up reel "B" with its own "up" side "B-1" and its down-facing side "B-2"), who can tell me how to fix this problem? I have already improvised a playback solution by flipping the "A" source reel over, so that "A-2" is facing up, then feeding tape from the top of the reel -- instead of the cardinal rule tape-out off of the bottom of the reel -- and I can get the proper playback. But that does NOT solve the long-term solution of getting it right on the take-up reel so that this fundamental problem is corrected when I give the original master reel back to my customer -- and my improvised playback method cannot be good for the source tape, either. I need someone to explain this to me like the idiot that I fundamentally am. And if you do offer a solution, assume that the source reel is "A-1" side up and tape out from the bottom, as it is supposed to be...I only told you about the playback reversal off-top feed to show that I am devilishly clever, but only in certain directions and applications. A big "thank you" in advance to anyone who offers up their thoughts on this situation.
 
Register to hide this ad
Here you can see 1/4" track configuration:


In your case you probably trying to reproduce 1channel 2 track (two directions mono) tape on 4 track machine. But I am not sure I understood your problem correctly. Anyway, if digitization is your business, you should learn more about tape recorders and formats. For example playback azimuth should be adjusted for any particular tape.
 
Back
Top Bottom