Giovanni68
Member
Hello everybody,
a couple years ago I went through a refresh of my very vintage hifi (...) setup which I own since I was in my teen age (and looooot of water went through), I bought an AR SP9, a Michell Gyrodec and a twin KT88 Chinese tube amp, an Aeron AR890 to match my old JBL4311B and couple my less old but still vintage Sony CDP-X505ES CD player.
I mostly listened to digital music since the turntable is huge and I don't have a proper space for it and with work I have not enough time to move it back and forth to listen to my few old records, first instance was the difference between MP3 and FLAC, wow, night and day (I know not everybody agrees) but at the end of my busy woking season I finally mounted the rewired Rega RB300 tonearm on the Gyrodec and listened to a few of my records and what a pleasure nonetheless scratches and bumps but it sounds so much more "natural" than either the CD or FLAC versions not to mention the pleasure to physically see the disc spinning.
Question being, now I have an AT3200XE cartridge which I know being an MC with high output but there as well is a Shure V (whose exact model I can't tell since there is no type on the sides as where there should be) and wondering the day I will have to eventually change the AT what would my preamp fit better, the Shure I already own (need the stylus to be replaced) or what?
I also got, into the package I bought, a Kiseki MCT2 step-up, I know this being a very looked after piece of equipment, the ex owner I guess used it couple with another cartridge which went probably lost but now I have no need to use it and as such I was thinking to sell it to fund new smaller speakers (but I know I would miss the JBL sound...), question being, should I keep it for when I will eventually get a new cartridge or can I give the SP9 the output of the Shure straight away (which I know being an MM should go just fine) as to get rid of extra stuff like the Kiseki?
One more question re the SP9, is it worth upgrading to MKII and is it easy to do it at home?
Grazie
Giovanni
a couple years ago I went through a refresh of my very vintage hifi (...) setup which I own since I was in my teen age (and looooot of water went through), I bought an AR SP9, a Michell Gyrodec and a twin KT88 Chinese tube amp, an Aeron AR890 to match my old JBL4311B and couple my less old but still vintage Sony CDP-X505ES CD player.
I mostly listened to digital music since the turntable is huge and I don't have a proper space for it and with work I have not enough time to move it back and forth to listen to my few old records, first instance was the difference between MP3 and FLAC, wow, night and day (I know not everybody agrees) but at the end of my busy woking season I finally mounted the rewired Rega RB300 tonearm on the Gyrodec and listened to a few of my records and what a pleasure nonetheless scratches and bumps but it sounds so much more "natural" than either the CD or FLAC versions not to mention the pleasure to physically see the disc spinning.
Question being, now I have an AT3200XE cartridge which I know being an MC with high output but there as well is a Shure V (whose exact model I can't tell since there is no type on the sides as where there should be) and wondering the day I will have to eventually change the AT what would my preamp fit better, the Shure I already own (need the stylus to be replaced) or what?
I also got, into the package I bought, a Kiseki MCT2 step-up, I know this being a very looked after piece of equipment, the ex owner I guess used it couple with another cartridge which went probably lost but now I have no need to use it and as such I was thinking to sell it to fund new smaller speakers (but I know I would miss the JBL sound...), question being, should I keep it for when I will eventually get a new cartridge or can I give the SP9 the output of the Shure straight away (which I know being an MM should go just fine) as to get rid of extra stuff like the Kiseki?
One more question re the SP9, is it worth upgrading to MKII and is it easy to do it at home?
Grazie
Giovanni

