• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio technica ATP-12T Tonearm

Big Mac

Well-Known Member
Good evening!

I just acquired an Audio Technica ATP-12T tonearm which takes cartiridges from 3-23 grams in weight.

I understand this tonearm is for low compliance cartridges, which is what I am running on it now, a Denon DL 103.

Would an Ortofon SPU Classic N E ,without the heavy SPU headshell and weighing in at 23 grams on the headshell it is mounted on, work (and sound good) on this tonearm?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
great arm! I love mine, they work well with cartridges that need heavier arms so I would guess it would be a great match for the spu, I would love to hear the combo. mount it up and see what you think (and take lots of pictures!)

I also run the atp12t/dl103 combo, great stuff!
 
OK! I will give the SPU a try over the weekend and let you know.....

Right now I'm getting an occasional clicking sound from my newly acquired Technics SP15...I'm thinking maybe a brake adjustment?

Got any ideas on that? I'd be most appreciative.
 
According to Vinyl Engine the SPU classic has a compliance of 8 and the recommend VTF is 4g. The approximate effective mass of the ATP-12T is 21g so they should work together from a resonance standpoint. I too am curious how the SPU sounds on the ATP-12T.

I'm running a similar setup with a SP-25 and the ATP-12T with a DL-103 mounted on it and I also want to try a different cartridge. I'm in the queue at Soundsmith to have a DL-103R retipped with their ruby cantilever and line contact stylus. It might be a fun comparison between the SPU and Soundsmith 103R. :yes:
 
The SPU is excellent on the ATP series tonearms. One of my favorite MC cartridges on this arm as well. I do love the DL-103 a great deal on one too.
 
According to Vinyl Engine the SPU classic has a compliance of 8 and the recommend VTF is 4g. The approximate effective mass of the ATP-12T is 21g so they should work together from a resonance standpoint. I too am curious how the SPU sounds on the ATP-12T.

I'm running a similar setup with a SP-25 and the ATP-12T with a DL-103 mounted on it and I also want to try a different cartridge. I'm in the queue at Soundsmith to have a DL-103R retipped with their ruby cantilever and line contact stylus. It might be a fun comparison between the SPU and Soundsmith 103R. :yes:

I also have a 103R I want to send off to soundsmith , how long is their wait? I would love to get the ruby treatment!
 
Big Msac that clicking is probably from the brake like you said. Download the SP-15 service manual from Vinyl Engine and it will have a diagram showing/explaining how to adjust the brake. You might also want to check all three speeds with a strobe but I'm leaning like you to the brake as the cause of the clicking.
 
I also have a 103R I want to send off to soundsmith , how long is their wait? I would love to get the ruby treatment!

I have to be patient for 10 to 12 weeks before I can put it on my ATP-12T but the opinions of several AKers convinced me it will be worth the wait. But I'm anxious to hear what Big Mac thinks of his SPU. I briefly looked for one used but they are pretty pricey.
 
has anyone rewired one of these tonearms with some nice silver wire? I wonder how it would respond to some tweaking. I really love the design of the atp12t, very simple but just looks so cool, much like the simplistic design aesthetic of the Thomas Schick tonearms, streamlined
 
Never liked silver wire on one. Too bright sounding. This arm is simple for a reason. It was designed for broadcast use. Too many features on those types of arms tend to go wrong in their heavy use and hard lives. Some DJ operators are far less than careful. I use a ATP-16T at home every day. I love mine.
 
I will mount the SPU probably Friday and give you my impressions over the weekend.

Good to know that the arm will work well with the Classic N E!
 
I got one of these arms with a recent Technics TT purchase and I like its simplicity and looks. One question though: does the lack of anti-skating is an issue? Would it cause uneven stylus wear?
 
I got one of these arms with a recent Technics TT purchase and I like its simplicity and looks. One question though: does the lack of anti-skating is an issue? Would it cause uneven stylus wear?
No issue that I have noted and I'm sure there will be lots of agreement on that from folks on here with more years experience with them than I have. Such a nice and handy arm to have, often paired with and SP-15 or similar in a studio or broadcast environment, where mine came from. Amazing what a range of carts it can handle with the right headshell, at least in my experience.
 
First thing I wanted to do when I got my SP-25 was replace the ATP-12T that came with it but I took the advice of a few folks and gave it a try. Matched with a low compliance cart (in my case a retipped DL-103R) the AT arm is very good performer. Its lack of anti-skate has not been an issue.
 
Due to both the heavier cartridge weight and higher tracking force the ATP12T works fine without the antiskate feature. Also use lighter or heavier headshells to adjust for cartridge/tonearm compliance this will give you a little bit wider range of cartridge choice.
 
Can anybody advise if it's a good match with Grados? I am currently doing some listening with a Grado 8MR with good results but I noticed the arm tracks better with a heavier tracking force. Is that normal?
 
Quick dumb question: I vaguely recall someone saying they had successfully used the armrest from a Technics SL-1200 with their ATP-12T. Is that correct? My arm came with the rest broken and it has been a nuisance, to say the least.
 
Yep, along with a bracket to hold a Jelco arm lifter I replaced the original ATP-12T arm rest with one from a Technics 1200MK2. With a drill bit by hand I carefully enlarged the hole to accept a 3/16" rod. The AT arm tube is slightly larger than the Technics so I used a sharp exacto to shave the arm rest a bit to get the AT arm to fit. Works great.

DSC_0177.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Back
Top Bottom