• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio-Technica LP-120USB platter scraping

Yes, The magnet is in the center of the platter and must seat on that motor that has another magnet. The round thing
Use care setting it on. You should be able to spin it freely by hand a couple times
OK - when I get a chance over the weekend I'll try removing that panel and see what I can see. In the meantime any other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks again!
 
OK - when I get a chance over the weekend I'll try removing that panel and see what I can see. In the meantime any other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks again!
That’s about it. Can’t have any debris obviously. Everything must be solid and stable for the platter to spin freely
Good luck
 
That’s about it. Can’t have any debris obviously. Everything must be solid and stable for the platter to spin freely
Good luck
Debris is a possibility actually, there's a small gap between the spindle and the cover which something might have fallen down, could be interfering with the balance of the whole arrangement. I'll check that out.
 
I have the LP1240 I've been using for several years now without issue.
How is your motor secured to the deck itself?
I bought a LAB-400 for my son that had a platter wobble that caused a scraping sound. It turned out all three screws on the bottom that secured the motor were loose.
 
I have the LP1240 I've been using for several years now without issue.
How is your motor secured to the deck itself?
I bought a LAB-400 for my son that had a platter wobble that caused a scraping sound. It turned out all three screws on the bottom that secured the motor were loose.
Yes, the platter is prolly a little out of vertical for some reason. Maybe place a plastic round bubble level on the platter and compare its bubble position to when the level is on the plinth. :idea:

bubble level (1) small.jpg
 
Yes, the platter is prolly a little out of vertical for some reason. Maybe place a plastic round bubble level on the platter and compare its bubble position to when the level is on the plinth. :idea:

View attachment 3658481
Maybe put a level, or bubble level on the platter while it's on to see how bad the bubble wobbles as it goes around. Either the bearing is shot, or the motor is loose would be my guess. These are fairly new decks compared to so many that are out there, but if it does turn out to be the motor, maybe the OP fan find a parts table on ebay. At first I thought the motor was shot in the LAB-400, so I got a replacement motor from one being parted out. Once I went to replace the motor that's when I found the original motor was just loose. So my son now has a replacement motor if ever needed.
 
Maybe put a level, or bubble level on the platter while it's on to see how bad the bubble wobbles as it goes around. Either the bearing is shot, or the motor is loose would be my guess. These are fairly new decks compared to so many that are out there, but if it does turn out to be the motor, maybe the OP fan find a parts table on ebay. At first I thought the motor was shot in the LAB-400, so I got a replacement motor from one being parted out. Once I went to replace the motor that's when I found the original motor was just loose. So my son now has a replacement motor if ever needed.
Yes. Hopefully it's a suspension adjustment and not a bent shaft or shot bearings.

fingerscrossed.jpg
 
Last edited:
Then they’ve been removed. Double check. And make sure the motor is tight to the chassis
OK, didn't get a chance to do this at the weekend but just tried it now. Removed all the screws underneath the platter. Unfortunately the metal plate these screws are fixed into still wouldn't lift off - I think it must be fixed from the other side as well, and those screws aren't accessible. So I wasn't able to open it up as shown in the image of your Technics deck.

However! In the process I had removed four screws that held the motor and spindle in place, and remembered your comment about making sure it was fixed tight. It occurred to me that those screws could have come ever so slightly loose over years of use. There's so little clearance between the platter and the chassis, if the spindle was sitting even a tiny bit lower it could cause an issue.

So I put the screws back on good and tight... and I think this has fixed the problem. I can't hear any scraping now, the tracking lights are much steadier and I can't hear the "wow" when playing records. I'll keep monitoring it, and I might be back if the problem recurs, but fingers crossed that's sorted it. Thanks!
 
OK, didn't get a chance to do this at the weekend but just tried it now. Removed all the screws underneath the platter. Unfortunately the metal plate these screws are fixed into still wouldn't lift off - I think it must be fixed from the other side as well, and those screws aren't accessible. So I wasn't able to open it up as shown in the image of your Technics deck.

However! In the process I had removed four screws that held the motor and spindle in place, and remembered your comment about making sure it was fixed tight. It occurred to me that those screws could have come ever so slightly loose over years of use. There's so little clearance between the platter and the chassis, if the spindle was sitting even a tiny bit lower it could cause an issue.

So I put the screws back on good and tight... and I think this has fixed the problem. I can't hear any scraping now, the tracking lights are much steadier and I can't hear the "wow" when playing records. I'll keep monitoring it, and I might be back if the problem recurs, but fingers crossed that's sorted it. Thanks!
Excellent! Glad it worked out
 
So I put the screws back on good and tight... and I think this has fixed the problem. I can't hear any scraping now, the tracking lights are much steadier and I can't hear the "wow" when playing records. I'll keep monitoring it, and I might be back if the problem recurs, but fingers crossed that's sorted it. Thanks!
Good news!

Enjoy your XMAS, spinning tunes!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom