• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Avid 102 crossover recap

iamthejeff

Active Member
I picked up a mint pair of Avid 102s and I am looking to recap the crossover. Each speaker only has a single capacitor, labeled 7uf 30VNP.

I am assuming the NP part of VNP means non polar, correct?

The only suitable replacement I can find is at Parts Express, which is a 6.8uF cap. I am wondering if that would be acceptable.

I am looking at either this one - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pmpc-68-68uf-250v-precision-audio-capacitor--027-238

or this - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-68-68uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-424

Both are 6.8uf 250V but neither mention whether or not they are non polar.

Any help is appreciated, I am rather green when it comes to speaker components.
 
Register to hide this ad
Interested to see where this thread goes. I also have a pair of Avid 102s minus the cabinets. So if I ever get around to building some cabinets I would probably recap the crossover since it is already out.
 
I picked up a mint pair of Avid 102s and I am looking to recap the crossover. Each speaker only has a single capacitor, labeled 7uf 30VNP.

I am assuming the NP part of VNP means non polar, correct?

The only suitable replacement I can find is at Parts Express, which is a 6.8uF cap. I am wondering if that would be acceptable.

I am looking at either this one - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pmpc-68-68uf-250v-precision-audio-capacitor--027-238

or this - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-68-68uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-424

Both are 6.8uf 250V but neither mention whether or not they are non polar.

Any help is appreciated, I am rather green when it comes to speaker components.

Hey iamthejeff,
I'm just seeing this because I just scored a pair of these Avids myself. I also have a crossover cap issue. So which cap did you decide on? And how is it working out for you?
I think these are great speakers. I'm coming from listening to a pair of Altec Lansing Model One's with 8" woofers for many years.
Thanks!
f
 
Back
Top Bottom