• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Axiom vs Totem

Scotpawt

New Member
I am looking for a true audiophile speaker, 2 channel only, no HT, for a small room at low listening levels (have a tenant below). I am upgrading from Axiom M3’s (which I love) therefore, I have considered Axiom M50’s ($750.00). However, I have read very positive reviews on Totem Rainmakers ($799.00) and I am leaning towards the Totems as they are regarded as a true audiophile speaker. These will be powered by a Marantz 2270.
I listen to mostly jazz and some hairbands. Any input or advice would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Mmmmm. I'm only familiar with Axiom through the numerous positive reviews I have heard and read. The Rainmaker is one of Totem's "affordable" small speakers. Since Totems are readily available up here, I have had a chance to listen to several models. The Rainmaker, like all Totems, has superior imaging and a beautiful overall sound. It will take all of your receiver's 70 w/ch to wake it up. Sensitivity is around 86 db/w. The stands must be of very good quality as well, so be prepared to factor that extra cost into your decision.

My favourite Totem is the Model 1, which a bit smaller than the Rainmaker. When properly mounted and driven with quality amplification, the sound of the Model 1 is beyond belief. I have rarely heard better. The catch is the price. They retail for about $2000/pr.
 
I have a pair of Totem Arro's. They are 4 ohm small floor standers. I picked mine up used for 700.00. The Arro's don't have really deep bass, but the sound is very clean, and like Sealy stated, they have beautiful imaging.
 
Overall, the Totems in general area much more refined sound but you'll pay for it. Check out Audiogon as you'll see some of the smaller Totems pop up now and then. Don't get me wrong, the rainmakers are a nice speaker - but there's a lot of difference between them and the rest of the line.

Bryan
 
I have a feeling that you will prefer the rainmakers. I have the M3 as well, and I find that their weakest point is the tweeter, which is the same one used throughout the line. The M50, not even having a mid like the M60 and M80, will probably sound like an M3 with deeper, fuller bass.
 
I have m3ti as well.

My 2 cents... if you really like the sound of the axioms, you might not like a smoother speaker. Myself, i had to upgrade because the axiom tweeter is to harsh for my ears. after 10 minutes i would shut my system off. Thats my ears though some like hotter tweets.

I upgraded big time with my Dali grand coupes, i got a great deal and they still cost me 700 bucks( they retailed for 2500 bucks thank god for scratch and dent). They are velvety smooth with no loss of detail at all.

I have not heard totems but they are big on my list to listen to.

Only advice i can give is go out and listen to everything you can, and make your decision that way. You will know when you have found them.

Also, when i was auditioning speakers i thought the paradigms and the 600 series b&w's where in the same camp as the axioms. Take a look at those.
 
The Totems are by far a better speaker IMO. I'm picking up a pair of Rainmakers this upcoming weekend to compete with my Epos M12i's for a spot in the office (loser is out the door). The Rainmakers are a very special little speaker.
 
Back
Top Bottom