• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&O Beogram RX versus RX2?

Johncan

Record collector
My first turntable back in the 1980s was a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2. I loved it for what it was. I sold it about 20 years ago.

Currently, there are a Beogram RX and a Beogram RX2 for sale locally. Both have working carts. I would love to have a B&O turntable again for nostalgia sake. It would use it in my office and not my main rig. Which is the better turntable? I know the RX2 was the last radial turntable made by B&O, but is it a better turntable than the RX?

(And yes, I am aware of the current cost of replacement cartridges.)

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I happen to have both here, the RX-2 being a dedicated part of my living room system. The RX has a problem with the tonearm I'm trying to fix.

Check here and you can see the RX-2 has better specs. Whether you can actually hear the difference is up to you:

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=858

Beogram RX Record Deck Product Specifications
Types:
5771 (1983 - June 1985)
USA 5773 (1983 - Jan 1986)
Pickup MMC 1-5

Wow and flutter, DIN < 0.09 %
Rumble weighted > 62 dB
Rumble DIN unweighted > 42 dB
Speeds 33 - 45 rpm
Speed deviation < +/- 0.2 %

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=718

Beogram RX2 Record Deck Product Specifications
Types:
5831 (1985 - May 1991)
USA 5833 (1985 - May 1991)

Pickup MMC 1-5

Wow and flutter, DIN < 0.07 %
Rumble weighted > 75 dB
Rumble DIN unweighted > 55 dB
Speeds 33 - 45 rpm
Speed deviation < +/- 0.2 %
 
Last edited:
I bought the RX2 with the MMC5. A buddy is selling me his spare MMC4. The RX had a MMC2, but I had no way to test the cart.
 
MMC 5 is the entry level, MMC-1 is top of the range. The tips and cantilevers get better and the compliance goes up as you go through the models.
 
Back
Top Bottom