• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W 805 D2 front speakers, center and powered sub-woofer/ which McIntosh separates?

Couldbfishin

Couldbfishin
A few months back I bought a used set of B&W speakers. This included 805 D2 bookshelf or stand mount speakers, a center speaker and a powered sub-woofer. I also bought with the package a McIntosh C34V pre-amp and the seller threw in a Denon 110 watt 7.1 AV receiver. I think the seller had used a McIntosh MC2500 (500 wpc) amp with this system, that I missed out on buying.

I have since had Audio Classics bench test and restore the C34V pre-amp and purchased from them a MC452 amp, to use with JBL L150s as my main stereo system.

One of my 40" TVs died and I replaced it with a 65" Sony A8G UHD 4K TV. The picture is phenomenal by the way, and the sound comes through the screen and isn't bad either.

But, I want to use the B& W speaker system as a front sound system. I have set it up with the Denon AV receiver and it sounds ok, but doesn't knock my socks off. I have been told the Denon AV receiver is not that great and a McIntosh separates system would make a world of difference using the B&W speakers.

I was very impressed with the difference switching to McIntosh separates made in the sound of my stereo system, with my existing speakers. I am thinking I would like to hear McIntosh gear for my AV system with the B&W speakers.

I have a small budget after buying a new TV and the MC452 this past year. So I have been reading about the C39 pre-amp and the MC2205 amp (200 watts x 5 channels), for about $3000. Someone selling a MC2205 suggested that I bi-wire the 805's and single wire the center speaker. Does that provide 400 watts to the two front speakers and 200 to the center? What about the powered woofer? If I was going to consider doing that, couldn't I just try my C34V pre and MC452 temporarily, to see how I liked it? Would that basically be the same sound?

Ok, enough background information. What models McIntosh pre and power amps would you suggest I consider? I am thinking 200 wpc or better, as the B&W speakers are rated at 200w conservatively. And, if I don't use back or overhead speakers, how many channels do I need?

The B&W powered sub-woofer is intended to split the two channel stereo signal coming into it by frequency among the front, center and sub-woofer. Is there a downside to having the sub-woofer split the signal instead of it being done by the pre-amp? If no downside, could I just buy a stereo pre-amp and amp, and split the two channels with the sub-woofer?

Thanks,

Couldbfishin
 
Register to hide this ad
The MC2205 is 2 channel, not 5 channel, If you are looking to go the HT route, then you need to look at their MX line of pre/ pros. If you want to go with the latest surround codecs like Atmos,etc., then I believe the earliest for those was the MX150.

I have the MX121 and the MC7205 ( 5 ch @200w/ch) and find it to be really nice combo. The MX121 does not have Atmos or DTS-x, but it does everything up to them and sound as good as anything I've owned in the past. I know what you're saying about Denon.

As for the center channel, the Sony A9G can be used as a center channel, but I tried it and it's just ok. For any external speaker, it would have to be below or above the tv. I am using Aerial Acoustics all around except the center. I'm doing the phantom mode and it works extremely well for my setup. Voices are centered and emanate from the screen.

Since you already have the MC452, why not look at a second, less expensive amp for the rears.
 
Thanks Duane.

I am still studying and learning about my new Sony A8G 4K UHD TV. I also purchased a Sony 4K Blu Ray deck. I am using the old Denon AV receiver now, but not passing the Video signal through it. I understand the later model AV receivers pass the audio and video signal through the processor and then the audio to the separate amp. I am learning about the multiple channels and the different options.
I have the B&W speakers hooked up to the older Denon A/V receiver. But, I would like to find a good set of McIntosh separates, with a late model AV processor and at least a 5 channel amp. I am watching eBay and Barter Town now.

The B&W powered sub-woofer has an option of running stereo cables to it for two channel input, and then it splits the signal to outputs for the L/R front speakers and a center speaker. I am not sure how this two channel splitting feature using a stereo amp and preamp, would sound compared to an AV processor and multi-channel amp. Of course if I was planning to use rear speakers I would need the multi-channel processor and amp.

BTW, I also just switched to a new ISP with TV and phone package. It has increased the download speed quite a lot, so I plan to start streaming movies and music. This is another reason I want to get something better to drive the B&W speakers.

I listened to Rotel processors and amps yesterday at BB. Of course they sound better than my old Denon AV receiver, but for the money, I would rather have used but late model McIntosh gear.

Thanks again, and if you have any advice, please let me know.
 
I misread the fact that you picked up the A8G and assumed the A9G. The A8G does not have the option of a center channel input.

For McIntosh equipment, you could also look at Audiogon, Audio Classics or US Audio Mart.
 
The 805 maximum rating is around 120 watts and as you are using a sub woofer if you roll off the bass round 50 HZ you should be able to get by with a Mac 150 watt amplifier. Remember most Mac amps put out 30% more power than rated when the Power Guard turns on. So I would choose a MC2152 if you want tubes. Or a MC 152 for solid state new stereo amp . For older amps a 7150 or even older a 2155. There was also a MC 150 to consider. There are some direct coupled amps to consider. MC 7200 and the MC 162.
 
Back
Top Bottom