• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W DM-1200 speakers... advice please on best amp etc

camilla

New Member
Hi, I've just bought a pair of B&W DM-1200 speakers and could use advice on the idea amp (ideally an inexpensive or amazing-value-for-price amp).. I will probably also need a dac, as I will be playing music off my computer and ipod(s).. my other equipment is in South Africa and I don't want to re-buy everything.

I know very little about these speakers.. other than (from reading) that they prefer a fair amount of power?
room is about 12' by 12'.. and I could use all-and-any info and advice :)

much thanks, Camilla
 
Register to hide this ad
Older pro audio amps are cheap clean power from carver, Yamaha, crown,qsc. Emotiva is pretty cheap on the newer spectrum. I have same speakers and usually feed them a minimum of 100wpc. Older parasound is good as well as adcom and rotel Or NAD.
 
thank you so much, I will check them out..
are there any particular models you would recommend.. and am I correct in assuming that I should b looking for solid state not valve amps?
 
Stick with solid state. Tube power would work but you would need 60-75wpc to make those speakers come alive which would NOT be inexpensive!
 
I've owned numerous B&W speakers over the years and have had great success pairing them with McIntosh amplification. Something like an MC752 or MC754 would be relatively inexpensive and match up well.
 
Back
Top Bottom