• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W DM-14 v Klipsch kg4 help decide

GeorgiaJohn

New Member
Hi all - need help deciding. I've auditioned mint B&W DM-14's with stands and a pair of mint Klipsch KG4's. They both sounded fantastic, but I'm concerned it might be a product of the environment and that they'll sound different when I bring them home. Both on vintage marantz amp's (don't recall models). I'll be running on a rotel rb1050 but would consider upgrading in time. I listen to everything and anything depending upon my mood but mostly classic rock, Motown and classical. Quiet to loud. They'll be approx 10ft apart and 1-2ft off the wall (to meet demands of the wife).

Any opinions on these to help me make the decision? Would love to bring them home this weekend!

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
So I never heard the B&Ws but have had a pair of the KG4's from when I bought them new in the late 80s. I think they are wonderful and I listen to them with a similar but older Pioneer SX-950. A year or so ago, I recapped the speakers and added the Crites tweeter mod.
 
I have owned many Klipsch and B&W speaker. However, I have not owned the models that you are considering. I have owned Klipsch heritage speakers and B&W 800 series speakers. In my experience the B&W speakers were more accurate and the Klipsch were more efficient and dynamic. The Klipsch were easier to get replacement parts for. I also found Klipsch customer service easier to deal with. Both companies make great sounding and beautiful speakers. I hope this helped. Good luck!
 
I like them both; however, given that the BWs are not often available I'd get them. OTOH, the KGs will play louder and have parts available. My modded KG4s I use for late night low level listening. The KG4's rear passive radiator may cause placement issues relative to the B&Ws.
 
Late to the party on this, but I happen to own and run both the DM-14s and KG4s. Two very different speakers, to say the least.

The Klipsch are much more efficient, but to my ears there is a price to be paid in terms of sound quality. I bought the KG4s thinking to run them on my tube system in place of some Yamaha NS-690s, but felt the Klipsch were a step backwards, especially in terms of resolution and imaging. They've ended up in my garage system with a Sansui integrated.

The B&Ws I bought on a whim (they were absurdly cheap), but they have proven to have been a wise purchase. Much more refined sound, to my ears more balanced and they image quite nicely as well. They've ended up in our loft system and not likely to get booted any time soon. They play very nicely at any level from a whisper on up, but do like to have some power behind them as they are only 86 db efficiency.

To sum up; for my ears the DM-14s suit much better, though I am sure it depends on the music you listen to, the amplification and the room to some degree.
 
Back
Top Bottom