• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W DM2 "HECO" version crossover.

giv5.26

New Member
Hello everyone. I possess a nice pair of B&W DM2, the early version with HECO tweeter. I looked inside and discovered that resistors are kind blown on both crossovers. The speakers are sounding perfectly, though. However, I'd like to replace those resistors. The problem is that they are black and I can't read information on them. I've been searching for a week but can't find the picture of the crossovers installed in my version. For instance, mine have just 4 resistors. Could you help me find the nominal of the resistors? Anyone?
 
Register to hide this ad
hello
Is it possible to post a picture of this crossover. I got some old B&W crossovers. That way I can compare and see if I got yours.
If so I will give you the values of the resistors.

greetings
Alex
 
Those resistors look fine, printing is visible, why do you think they are blown? 10r means 10 ohms.
The grey ceramic sausages are the resistors.
The orange things are capacitors and the doughnut reels are inductors. A multimeter will tell you the resistance.
 
Those resistors look fine, printing is visible, why do you think they are blown? 10r means 10 ohms.
The grey ceramic sausages are the resistors.
The orange things are capacitors and the doughnut reels are inductors. A multimeter will tell you the resistance.
I tought the same as you,, till I got a look at the resistor at the upper left ( 11 o'clock ) .. it seems a little overheaten.

Good catch on the '' 10r ''
 
Ah yes sax6 I see what you mean, blackened board, it might clean off.

The resistor looks ok though, it got hot once. Only a multimeter will tell if it's still the right resistance, but the wirewound wire and insulator look ok, they are designed to get hot more than the PCB. The black might be the residue of the printing. If the resistor was black that might be more worrying. Check the capacitor nextdoor isn't affected.

Perhaps solder longer legs onto it to raise it off the board or replace with a higher wattage.

Circuit diagrams and pictures at
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/bowers-wilkins-dm2-series-ii-rebuild.351928/
 
Last edited:
Those resistors look fine, printing is visible, why do you think they are blown? 10r means 10 ohms.
The grey ceramic sausages are the resistors.
The orange things are capacitors and the doughnut reels are inductors. A multimeter will tell you the resistance.
How about the marked one? I was talking about that guy...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 11
So, yeah, I had them measured. It says 33R. However, it could be just great to have a original diagram somewhere..
 
Can't find anything similar schematic wise, maybe your best bet is comparing the value in both speakers if they're roughly the same, should be ok, it's normal for ceramic resistors to get hot, it looks ok and sounds ok it probably is ok, just the PCB couldn't cope. If still worried perhaps contact b&w they may be able to send you the schematic.
 
Last edited:
I have the original DM2s too.
Whilst not wishing to hijack this thread about the crossover, it might be the best place to catch the attention of anyone looking this way who knows more about these speakers in general.
What I would like to find out is, do these HECO HF units contain ferrofluid?
Thanks... :)
 
Back
Top Bottom