• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

b&w dm5 or Acoustic Reasearch AR4x

johnnygrace

New Member
I've been thrift store searching for speakers and the best two i've yet to find are one b&w dm5 and one ar4x...so the problem is that I only got a single of each. So in my quest for a great sounding home system I gotta figure out which one to sell to use towards buying a matching speaker.

The dm5 is in great cosmetic condition although there's something wrong with the bass so I need to open it up and investigate. The ar4x is in pretty rough cosmetic shape but I could restore it easily. It sounds amazing though.

Provide I can fix the dm5 bass issue, what should I do? Which one to sell...or should I sell both and get something else? Its gonna be easier to sell the dm5 due to its cosmetic condition.

I think if I decide to sell both and go with some other vintage set the most I could get for the two I have is probably $200.

I know I should just spend some time listening to both and evaluate on personal preference but I wanna hear some opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
Orphans show up on the bay all the time. Maybe try to get one of each, then make you evaluation. Kind of difficult to do with one of each.
 
Can't speak for the AR, but parting out the DM5 is what I would do. If someone is looking to buy an orphan speaker, (regardless of brand) it's to salvage drivers/crossovers to repair a non working speaker. Plus, shipping costs would be cheaper for the buyer.
 
Back
Top Bottom