• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ba-f1 power switch

Mbrianc

New Member
Hello everyone!

I am bringing an old BA-F1 back to life and I need a power switch. The current switch powers the unit on, but it doesn't latch and the spring isn't returning it to the off position.

I've been looking, but cannot find info on a replacement switch. Is there an equivalent part I can order?

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
My suggestion, before exploring any further, is to go ahead and dismantle your switch and see what the problem might be.

Dismantling any of these "sealed" switches can make you squeamish, but if it is not functioning properly then there is not much to lose. Usually any advice for our switches involves thorough DEOxit treatment and cycling the switches, but this switch mechanism is not particularly robust and my concern would be potentially bending one of the internal parts.

I recently had one apart on a BAF1 project, so I have a couple of photos that might be helpful.

Disassembly is basically by bending back the four securing tabs:

IMG_2086.JPG

The switch is essentially in two halves, the pushbutton mechanism:

IMG_2087.JPG

and the sliding contacts:

IMG_2088.JPG

Of course, I was not as thorough in my picture taking as I should have been, so I don't have a shot of the spring placement, but as you will see upon disassembly, the wire armature is inserted into the housing, runs through the flat spring, and the elbow section is captive in a slot on the pushbutton, which is captive in the housing. The foot of the pushbutton is set into the slide for the contacts when the two halves are re-assembled.IMG_2090.JPG

Please note, the photo above does not represent the parts placement, just the delicate components. Assembled, the armature wire elbow that is hidden by the spring would be inserted through the small hole on the left and the spring would be lying on the flat part of the housing.

Assuming that there are not contacts burned beyond salvage and that the spring and armature are not bent or broken, then a thorough cleaning (I have very good luck with an ultrasonic parts cleaner), lubrication, and reassembly should give you a switch that will be of service indefinitely.

Sorry my photos aren't more complete, but if you can overcome the initial trepidation of opening up the switch, things will be revealed to be pretty straightforward.
 
Thank you!!

I'll give it a try, as there isn't any more harm to be done. Although I would bet th byat the spring is most likely broken.

I found it in a flea market, and I powered it on to see if worked before I bought. I wish I hadn't done thag, because I found this when I opened it up:View media item 16255
As you can see, someone cut the ground on f2965. Why I do not know. Also, some resistors have been burnt and the service manual states that tr01 and 03 on the power supply board may be damaged as a result of the lost ground.

But I will bring this thing back to life.
 
A flea market find- that is one nice piece of luck...

Speaking of luck, does it happen to have the original outputs? That is truly the equivalent of striking gold. I'm in the testing phase of a rebuild on one where unfortunately several of the original outputs were toast, but I was lucky enough to have purchased the STMicroelectronics replacements back when they were pointed out by our esteemed member Echowars.

You will find much written here regarding restoring these very special amps, particularly about the the necessity of wholesale replacement of the problematic "black flag" capacitors, helping to prevent the catastrophic failure that these sometimes suffered.

Hopefully the internals on your switch are just gunked up and the mechanism is undamaged-
 
Yeah, I had read about the polystyrene caps. I intend to change them out with some mica caps I have on hand.

The switch appears to be a lost cause. The spring is broken. DcinDc put me on to a replacement.

The output transistors appear to be original as they are marked sansui. However with the damage to the left channel due to the cut ground, I don't have a lot of hope for them.

I do have two pair of mj21195/96 that should do the trick if they are bad.

I wasn't even aware of how rare this amp was when I found it. I was just having fun picking up antique radios at flea markets to return to working condition when I found it.
 
Back
Top Bottom