• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Baba Ram Dass has died Dec 22, 2019

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
If there is an enduring figure emblematic of the consciousness revolution of the 1960s and 70s, it is arguably the Harvard professor and LSD researcher-turned-spiritual leader born Richard Alpert but known the world over as Ram Dass. With Timothy Leary, his colleague in the Harvard psychology department, he forever changed a generation of Americans through his explorations with psilocybin, LSD-75, and other psychedelics before reinventing himself as a spiritual teacher and humanitarian—a bhakti yogi with love as his path. When Ram Dass died on Sunday evening, one of the most beloved voices of the counterculture fell silent. He was 88 years old.

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/ram-dass-dies/
 
Register to hide this ad
National Lampoon did a take off on him, as only they could, for awhile in the mid '70s as "Baba Rum Raisin". I had no earthly idea what they were talking about at the time.... For us "Counter-counter" culture types who felt the Sixties were generally pretty bogus, overly pious, & WAY too sanctimonious, "Lampoon" was a breath of fresh air... Plus, they had LOTSA "Tiddy" photos that "Mad" never would have...(Grin)
 
I remember being blown away by the book, Be Here Now.

It was in 1988, the 'coffee table' book was in a posh, and extremely large, studio apartment. I don't remember the dude's name, the guy who had the book, (and the apartment). I only met the guy once.

It was, indeed, a mystical experience.
 
Wow....now, THAT jars the old grey matter. Back in another lifetime, I went to some college campus or other (Rutgers U, or maybe Newark State College ?) to hear Allen Ginsberg and Richard Alpert speak. Seemed like quite a new frontier, back then....RIP, Sir....
 
I remember being blown away by the book, Be Here Now.

Thoughts on Baba Ram Dass

I keep thinking of the line from that Moody Blues song, Legend of a Mind.
"Timothy Leary's dead / No, n-n-no he's outside looking in"

I've spent many holidays vagabonding and wondering around Maui.
I once went up to him and was about to say
"You look a lot like Babs Ram Dass"
when I realized it was him and I lost my nerve,

As this is a place for Music and Karma
The lyrics of a Everything But The Girl song also bring back memories

This is not some Bible, like on the road
It's just a song about coming home

In many ways Be Here Now was one of countercultures bibles even more so On the Road
Baba Ram Dass was forever coming home spirtually and he'd on the outside looking in

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom