• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bad Inner Groove Distortion on Mitsubishi LT-5v

Penn42

Well-Known Member
Hello all. Has anyone dealt with bad IGD on a linear tracker? I dusted off my uncle's old LT-5V, got it all set-up proper, and installed a Signet TK-3Ea with .6 aftermarket conical on it. The IGD is pretty bad, heck there's even a little OGD.

My 1219 has a .7 conical on it and there's no IGD whatsoever when playing the same record. I guess my next step should be changing cartridges? The LT-5V is a pretty fun oddball table that I'm hoping to start using, but not if I can't figure this out.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello all. Has anyone dealt with bad IGD on a linear tracker? I dusted off my uncle's old LT-5V, got it all set-up proper, and installed a Signet TK-3Ea with .6 aftermarket conical on it. The IGD is pretty bad, heck there's even a little OGD.

My 1219 has a .7 conical on it and there's no IGD whatsoever when playing the same record. I guess my next step should be changing cartridges? The LT-5V is a pretty fun oddball table that I'm hoping to start using, but not if I can't figure this out.
Can only be 1 of 2 things or both. Setup from overhang to weight or the stylus is worn out.
 
Ok thanks.

This did is brand new. I have had pretty good luck with aftermarket styli do far, though maybe my luck has run out.

I don't actually have the overhang gauge, but I have the stylus tip at the measurement specified in the owners manual and have the tracking force in the middle of the specified range for this stylus. This cartridge is shorter in height than the one that was originally on it, maybe I'll try shimming it up?
 
You should not be getting distortion like that on a linear table. Perhaps the record(s) have been subject to wear on regular turntables which the LT is picking up.
 
being one of their vertical tables I would think keeping the tracking force equal across the record a bit more involved, the difference in cartridge height could certainly affect this I'm also inclined to think.
 
Not so. As @Montycat pointed out. Could be the LPs.



Why would that be? I’ve never heard of read that a linear tracking arm has a tough time maintaining consistent VTF across the length of the LP. :dunno:

The OP says the albums work perfectly on his 2019. That is why the assumption is, set up or stylus wear. Records don't seem to be the problem.
 
On a linear tracking arm like the LT-5V the forces that create IGD really do not exist. The 2019 has a differing cartridge and different stylus profile so I agree that may be the trouble. Perhaps using the cartridge from the 5V on the 2019 might help to isolate the trouble.
 
On a linear tracking arm like the LT-5V the forces that create IGD really do not exist. The 2019 has a differing cartridge and different stylus profile so I agree that may be the trouble. Perhaps using the cartridge from the 5V on the 2019 might help to isolate the trouble.

it's a "vertical" table, it doesn't use gravity for its VTF
mitsubishi_lt-5v_linear_tracking_turntable.jpg
 
If you hear distortion all the way across, either the vertical alignment of the stylus is off or the stylus isn't is the right place, location is pretty critical on linear trackers. If the stylus is either too far out or too far back, it won't be sitting perpendicular to the grooves, and this will be worse in the inner section as the grooves curve more there, resulting in greater deviation from perpendicular.

Also, you may need to shim the cartridge to get the correct vertical tracking for the stylus, it must be perpendicular to the surface of the disk as well as to the grooves.
 
I'd be more concerned about poor tracking in the inner grooves from congealed grease on the carriage rails that VTF -- VTF perforce is supplied by a spring or counterweight setup and is independent of arm position. Always assuming no actual mechanical issues that is. If the arm is running at an angle toward the center you may need to re-lubricate the rails the carriage runs on.

Any mis-alignment of the stylus with the groove walls will be worse on the inner grooves though, but unlike a swing arm table, this is not due to changes in perpendicularity of the stylus to the groove walls, and that shouldn't be an issue at all with a conical stylus in the first place. Distortion won't be the issue, but separation might I think.
 
I know what it is. I have two of them and it’s still a linear tracking arm. Still confused on how VTF changes over the paying surface.
It's VTF is a little more involved than just letting gravity do the work eh

As such cartridge height could definitely be more critical, having one of these you shouldn't need to have my statement clarified, such nitpicking
:bye:
 
It's VTF is a little more involved than just letting gravity do the work eh

As such cartridge height could definitely be more critical, having one of these you shouldn't need to have my statement clarified, such nitpicking
:bye:

Didn’t say one. Two was the number. Your comment was that because it’s a vertically positioned linear tracking turntable, that tracking force varies over the records playing surface. Trying to understand how that happens. If you don’t have an answer that’s fine as well. I think HPMguy offered a reasonable potential issue in that there may be additional friction as the arm moves across the rail. Could be grease, dirt or other debris. The VTF is spring set and IIRC is part of the arm assembly. The arm moves across the rail driven by sensors that open the arm motor as it moves across the rail. The spring tension doesn’t change over that travel. If the LP was warped or the table was not level that could impact variability in tracking force but for a standard LP and a level table not sure how variability would occur.
 
Another thing to consider is how stabile the rail is. Is it loose at all? Is it level? Need to take the back cover off to check it properly.
 
Again more nitpicking, so you have two, never said you didn't, I have one finger, I also have 10, so good for you
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom