• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bad tape or wrong setting on the machine

peterfranks

Super Member
All - need your help. I am playing tape on my my Akai reel to reel - X-150D model. All my tapes run fine and sound great. I got a new tape today and it isn't running at the correct speed - it sounds like it is running ultra slow. Even if I turn the machine to high speed it isn't enough. The reel is marked 7 1/2 IPS. The tape is 1/4 inch. Is this meant to be played on a different type reel to reel player? All of my other tapes are 3 3/4 IPS and run fine.

Stupid question I know - just haven't come across this before. Machine setting?

thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
While I am not familiar with that model Akai, I will give you some tips to try.

First, check to see if the tape is trying to stick to itself as it comes of the reel. You did not say what brand/series of tape you got but some brands/series are notorious for turning sticky.

It could be that the new to you tape was recorded on a machine that had speed problems that were not discernable when played back on the same machine, but become evedent on others such as yours. OTOH, It could be recorded properly and its your deck that is recoding and playing back off pitch from the correct speed. Try to find a known good tape from another AKer or get a factory recorded tape off the bay and see if you get the same results, Or send one of your original tapes to someone else with a reel to reel and let them see if they get good playback. By process of elimination you should be able to pin the problem on the deck or that particular tape.
 
Maybe the tape was recorded on a machine with a 50 Hertz capstan instead of a 60 Hertz capstan. Common problem when tape machines are imported. Where did you get the tape from?? Overseas???
 
Mr. Greg - you may be on to something. I have the manual (thanks cnolanh) and switching to 7 1/2 speed tape is pretty simple. However, it doesn't help and the tape still isn't playing at the proper speed. The tape is a factory recording - The Turtles Golden Hits - 7 1/2 IPS. I'm wondering if I need a different capstan bushing and/or pinch wheel? I tried switching from 60 to 50 cycle but no help.

Sending the tape to someone else to try is a good idea. I'm obviously missing something here. I suppose there could be an issue with the deck but everything on it works perfectly - not sure why this wouldn't. All of my other tapes are fine ....
 
Might try one of your other tapes at the 7 1/2 speed, should sound like the Chipmunks, way fast. If not your machine is not changing speeds correctly. Not sure but I think that deck is an idler drive and the wheel has to move to a different place on the motor drive. Could be sticking mechanism?
 
On my x-355, the capstan belt was slack and was not shifting fully onto the 7.5 ips pulley, causing what you describe. Open the back of your deck and observe what is going on.
 
On my x-355, the capstan belt was slack and was not shifting fully onto the 7.5 ips pulley, causing what you describe. Open the back of your deck and observe what is going on.

I think you may be on to something. To the O/P, when you shift from 3 3/4 IPS to 7 1/2 IPS, the difference in speed should be VERY noticeable as the tape is pulled through. It's like night and day to see the reels spinning. If yours doesn't appear to be really speeding up when you shift it from the slower to the faster speed, eclectik may have nailed it.

Also, don't switch your deck from 60 to 50 cycles (assuming you're in the US). That's for people who live in countries where the power is 50 cycles. You don't want to damage it.

Good luck!
 
Did some research. This deck has a two speed motor and uses a capstan bushing/sleeve. Low speed with no bushing is 1 7/8 ips. For 3 3/4 speed the bushing is put on the capstan, motor still on low speed. For 7 1/2 speed the motor is switched to high speed with bushing on capstan. Motor speed change is at the top of the front panel, capstan bushing is stored on a post next to the capstan.
 
Did some research. This deck has a two speed motor and uses a capstan bushing/sleeve. Low speed with no bushing is 1 7/8 ips. For 3 3/4 speed the bushing is put on the capstan, motor still on low speed. For 7 1/2 speed the motor is switched to high speed with bushing on capstan. Motor speed change is at the top of the front panel, capstan bushing is stored on a post next to the capstan.


Not surprising. I used to own RTR machine with that feature. Simply screw it on the capstan.
 
Yes, you need the sleeve on the capstan to do 7 1/2 ips. Here is a picture of it on the capstan...if not in use it goes on the peg to the left of the capstan.

Do you have that sleeve?
 

Attachments

  • Capture150.JPG
    Capture150.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom