• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Balance pot question....

analog addict

Glory or Death!
Subscriber
I have a Mathis console amp that I have almost finished restoring, but there seems to be a slight problem in the controls. When the volume is turned all the way down, all of a sudden the volume jumps up on one of the channels. I've checked the volume pot, but both channels measure equally....:scratch2:

The other problem is that the balance pot seemed to be have to be turned way to one side to get balanced sound. I measured the pot and this is what I found....

attachment.php


The left, middle or right denotes the position of the knob on the balance pot with the rest of the information being the resistance measurments. Can I safely assume that this pot is toast? If so, what value of pot do I need for replacement? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a schematic on this amp.....:sigh:
 

Attachments

  • pot diagram.PNG
    pot diagram.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 35
Register to hide this ad
I think that volume pot is measuring correctly. It's probably a logarithmic or audio taper. It shouldn't have a linear resistance plot. It sounds like maybe a crack on the resistor track, or the wiper might be doing something wierd at full attenuation position.
 
I think that volume pot is measuring correctly. It's probably a logarithmic or audio taper. It shouldn't have a linear resistance plot. It sounds like maybe a crack on the resistor track, or the wiper might be doing something wierd at full attenuation position.

...are there two or 1 balance pot? If there's one, it sounds like it was replaced with the wrong type of pot. If there's two, it might be normal.
 
Back
Top Bottom