• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bang and Olufsen S60

bryana

You have my stapler!
Some pics of my recently refurbished Bang and Olufsen S60. THese sound really nice. Very detailed. They remind me of my Mission 770 and maybe my old Yamaha NS 670. Definitely not junk and to dispell the belief b&o was all about bling and looks only, its just not true.
I got these for a very cheap price but was unable to test them. It turned out I had to put some money into them to replace the mids and tweeters and the crossovers. Fortunately someone was parting out a pair and I made a good buy it now purchase on the required items.
I am going to recap the crossovers and increase the voltage values on the caps and resisitors. I have seen plenty of pics of charred crossovers on S series B&O speakers.
At our shop at work after I oiled the cabs...
 

Attachments

  • bo1.jpg
    bo1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 151
  • bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 118
  • bo3.jpg
    bo3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 85
  • bo4.jpg
    bo4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 91
Register to hide this ad
Nice. They look like my old S75s. Very good-sounding speakers. Time aligned, phase-filler drivers, optimized baffles; quality drivers, rosewood veneer ... what's not to like?
 
Last edited:
I bought my S-60s new in 1977 after auditioning most of the popular speakers at the B&Os' price point and below. To me they sounded better than anything else in my price range. The speakers I heard that didn't make the cut included the Large Advent, the Electro-Voice Interface:A, the Dynaco A-25 and A-35, the Pioneer HPM-100, a Rectilinear (I don't recall the model number), and quite a few more.
 
Someday maybe if I'm real good I will find a pair of the appropriate stands for them. There was a tulip like stand much like the bose 901 and I am thinking there was a stand that resembled the metal legged variety of the Redline series.
 
Someday maybe if I'm real good I will find a pair of the appropriate stands for them. There was a tulip like stand much like the bose 901 and I am thinking there was a stand that resembled the metal legged variety of the Redline series.

I have the S-75's and the matching stands, and they are very similar to the Redline stands. The S-75's are excellent speakers, though not as natural as the S-60's from what I've heard. Great find!:thmbsp:
 
I would also like to find a beomaster 4000 or 4400 to use with the four redline 60.2s I have. It has the pseudo quad circuitry in it. Might be fun.
I would like to hear a few of the other models but they are few and far between here in Iowa.
 
Nice!
I'd add a bunch of 1X2 cabinet bracing and stuff a bit more sheep wool, which should tighten up the midbass(knock/hump).
 
Tubed...good recomendations. Might as well do that when I do the recap.

Allsmith

Midranges both cone and dome are philips, tweeter is peerless, woofer is either scanspeak or seas don't remember for sure. I think they are all respected drivers.
 
Tubed...good recomendations. Might as well do that when I do the recap.

Allsmith

Midranges both cone and dome are philips, tweeter is peerless, woofer is either scanspeak or seas don't remember for sure. I think they are all respected drivers.

Good stuff! Nice set of speakers you got there!
 
Wonderful speakers!

One of my systems is pure Bang & Olufsen:

Beomaster 3000
Beogram CD 3300
Beogram 2402
Beovox S60


:thmbsp:
 
Definitely not junk and to dispell the belief b&o was all about bling and looks only, its just not true.

That's correct. I don't have any B&O speakers but the electronics that I have are more than just bling-bling, they sound good and have a very good build quality.
 
... Midranges both cone and dome are philips, tweeter is peerless, woofer is either scanspeak or seas don't remember for sure. I think they are all respected drivers.

I'm pretty sure the woofers in my S-60s are SEAS drivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom