• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bang and... Ortofon? Yup. The creation of the B&O linear tracker with an Ortofon cartridge.

ms_enj

Ceci n'est pas une blonde
The MMC2 cartridge on my Beogram 8002, which I resurrected from scrap about two years ago along with the rest of the 8000 system, finally died, nothing but a faint distorted mess on one channel, and the other one open circuit. The suspension was already a bit iffy when I got it (stylus canted to one side horizontally), but I figured I could still get some use out of it while I sorted out a replacement.

For those of you that don’t know, B&O turntables have always had their own proprietary cartridges with a fixed stylus. Stylus wears out, you replace the whole thing. While I appreciate the sonic benefits of the stylus and generator integrated into a neat low-mass package, this design is now fairly inconvenient now these cartridges aren't available at your corner B&O dealer.

B&O have licensed exactly one company in the US to produce replacements, and they are not cheap. AU$1500ish for the equivalent of the MMC2. Hard pass. Even the MMC4 equivalent is still about AU$500 landed here. That's more than I paid for the entire Beosystem 8000.

To my industry standard calibrated eyeball, it looked like an Ortofon OM cartridge body has a very similar height between the pins and the stylus tip as the B&O cartridges, and an identical rake angle with the cartridge base parallel to the record.

Turns out I was right. I ordered some 6mm square aluminium tube and after some measuring and careful calculation, I designed and built a complete custom replacement tonearm, with a 3D printed socket I modeled fitted on the end to hold the OM body.

I trimmed off the 1/2” mounting wing from the cartridge to keep the appropriate slender 1980s aesthetic, statically balanced the arm so it tracks at 1.75 grams (which is about ideal for a short, light arm like this and still in the correct compliance range for the OM body) and fitted it all up.

Is it a DIY job? No. The arm carriage needs to be dismantled along with the vertical part of the bearing, and it's necessary to go through all the adjustments in the service manual for the arm after reassembly, but as an electronics engineer, it was well within my abilities to perform this mod.

Sound wise? It's absolutely fine. Zero issues at all. This system is a design statement piece in my lounge that is for background music while I work around the house, and not critical listening, but there are plenty of upgraded styli available if I want to go crazy with it.

Naturally, I've irritated the purists, but I don't really care. I mean, B&O are Danish, Ortofon are Danish, so good enough for me, and this setup is absolutely preferable to a lot of money and a long wait for a replacement cartridge or rebuild job whenever the stylus wears out.

The best bit? The whole thing cost me all of $20. I have plenty of OM bodies in my stock pile, and a new in box Stylus 10, so all I needed to buy was the tube and some extra tonearm wire, and it’s completely reversible if I ever win the lottery and decide I want to run the stock arm again.


IMG_0288.jpgIMG_0293.JPGIMG_0291.JPG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Great job! It looks good and I'm sure it works well. :)

However I have to say that you are not likely the "owner of the only B&O turntable that doesn’t need an expensive cartridge replacement". I have no idea how many they might have done but this company in Georgia (USA, not the country) modifies B&O arms to take a P-Mount Grado cartridge. Admittedly it's an expensive job but once done styli or cartridge replacements are easy.


Also, for retipping or cartridge repair, there is Franz-Josef Schulte in Germany. Several years ago he or his company repaired 2 cartridges for me (an MMC-4 and a 5 - though the retipping supposedly upgrades it to at least a 4). It wasn't too expensive for this frugal guy though I am sure prices have gone up. Along with another new MMC-3 I acquired elsewhen I have enough to keep my RX-2 running for a long time, especially since I rarely use it.


In any case I have no affiliation with either company and haven't even used the first.
 
Great job! It looks good and I'm sure it works well. :)

However I have to say that you are not likely the "owner of the only B&O turntable that doesn’t need an expensive cartridge replacement". I have no idea how many they might have done but this company in Georgia (USA, not the country) modifies B&O arms to take a P-Mount Grado cartridge. Admittedly it's an expensive job but once done styli or cartridge replacements are easy.


Also, for retipping or cartridge repair, there is Franz-Josef Schulte in Germany. Several years ago he or his company repaired 2 cartridges for me (an MMC-4 and a 5 - though the retipping supposedly upgrades it to at least a 4). It wasn't too expensive for this frugal guy though I am sure prices have gone up. Along with another new MMC-3 I acquired elsewhen I have enough to keep my RX-2 running for a long time, especially since I rarely use it.


In any case I have no affiliation with either company and haven't even used the first.

It works perfectly, and turned out OK for what is effectively a prototype.

I wasn't aware of the existence of the company in Georgia until now. Consider my statement retracted. Still, US$1250 plus return shipping from Australia is not by any stretch cheap or cost effective, unlike my modification.

Thankfully, I no longer need the services of anyone to rebuild my MMC2. It's a now a nice tiny ornament sitting in the cartridge storage slot in the 8002. :)
 
Thankfully, I no longer need the services of anyone to rebuild my MMC2. It's a now a nice tiny ornament sitting in the cartridge storage slot in the 8002. :)

Very creative solution! As someone who has a stack of lower level Beograms, lonesome for cartridges, I will be interested in your progress with this endeavor.
 
You DIY'ed your own Amina Audio style adaptation. Jolly Good Show!! Amina Audio's makes the Beogram capable of accepting T4p mount cartridges.
 
The MMC2 cartridge on my Beogram 8002, which I resurrected from scrap about two years ago along with the rest of the 8000 system, finally died, nothing but a faint distorted mess on one channel, and the other one open circuit. The suspension was already a bit iffy when I got it (stylus canted to one side horizontally), but I figured I could still get some use out of it while I sorted out a replacement.

For those of you that don’t know, B&O turntables have always had their own proprietary cartridges with a fixed stylus. Stylus wears out, you replace the whole thing. While I appreciate the sonic benefits of the stylus and generator integrated into a neat low-mass package, this design is now fairly inconvenient now these cartridges aren't available at your corner B&O dealer.

B&O have licensed exactly one company in the US to produce replacements, and they are not cheap. AU$1500ish for the equivalent of the MMC2. Hard pass. Even the MMC4 equivalent is still about AU$500 landed here. That's more than I paid for the entire Beosystem 8000.

To my industry standard calibrated eyeball, it looked like an Ortofon OM cartridge body has a very similar height between the pins and the stylus tip as the B&O cartridges, and an identical rake angle with the cartridge base parallel to the record.

Turns out I was right. I ordered some 6mm square aluminium tube and after some measuring and careful calculation, I designed and built a complete custom replacement tonearm, with a 3D printed socket I modeled fitted on the end to hold the OM body.

I trimmed off the 1/2” mounting wing from the cartridge to keep the appropriate slender 1980s aesthetic, statically balanced the arm so it tracks at 1.75 grams (which is about ideal for a short, light arm like this and still in the correct compliance range for the OM body) and fitted it all up.

Is it a DIY job? No. The arm carriage needs to be dismantled along with the vertical part of the bearing, and it's necessary to go through all the adjustments in the service manual for the arm after reassembly, but as an electronics engineer, it was well within my abilities to perform this mod.

Sound wise? It's absolutely fine. Zero issues at all. This system is a design statement piece in my lounge that is for background music while I work around the house, and not critical listening, but there are plenty of upgraded styli available if I want to go crazy with it.

Naturally, I've irritated the purists, but I don't really care. I mean, B&O are Danish, Ortofon are Danish, so good enough for me, and this setup is absolutely preferable to a lot of money and a long wait for a replacement cartridge or rebuild job whenever the stylus wears out.

The best bit? The whole thing cost me all of $20. I have plenty of OM bodies in my stock pile, and a new in box Stylus 10, so all I needed to buy was the tube and some extra tonearm wire, and it’s completely reversible if I ever win the lottery and decide I want to run the stock arm again.


View attachment 3650144View attachment 3650145View attachment 3650146
Nice work!
Chris
 
I remember seeing a Grado on a B&O linear arm back in the late 70s or early 80s at the stereo store in Old Greenwich, CT - AudioCom? It looked like a standard mount Grado - I don't remember if it was before P mount cartridges even existed.
 
Well, I don't have one or plan on getting one but am interested in how people do amazing fixes on their gear.

OP has shown an excellent workaround...one must be rather handy and open minded in the first place to even attempt it, regardless of tutorials. Of course, for not inventing the wheel again, it would be great to have the 3D print file and the lenght of the tube at hand...well, info about what filament, speed and printer was used can't hurt either. In generall, though, OP's idea should suffice.

The tutorial is already done - it's called the service manual...which, BTW, none of them were written with Joe Average in mind. If he can't follow it, either due to lack of ability/knowledge/experience/dexterity and/or tools needed for the job, he should stay away.

Hats off, @ms_enj!
 
Very Great! I salute you. Well done, however I'm blesses vis a vis MMC cartridges and they are sublime to my ears, so I'm sticking with them.

In fact, long ago I did the opposite, I built an ultra lite "head shell" so I could run B&O carts on my Yamaha PX-2s.


 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom