• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Barzilay console cabinet?

Puddintane

Super Member
I bought this console at an auction last fall for the electronics inside rather than the cabinet itself. The contents were a Fisher 600 receiver, Dual 1019, an Ampex reel to reel, and a JBL S7 speaker configuration (with LX5 X-over). I haven’t tried selling or giving this thing away, and I half expect to have to hack it up into pieces that I can fit into the trash bin over the course of a few weeks. But I’ve been wanting to figure out what it was first and am wondering if it’s a Barzilay cabinet or not. I’ve looked through hundreds of images online and posts here and elsewhere, and have yet to see one quite like it. It’s huge and heavy, probably 90 inches long, with casters underneath. There aren’t any brand markings on it that I could find, unless they’re behind the fiberglass insulation that’s tacked inside the speaker compartments. What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 85
Register to hide this ad
Are the speakers in the same or separate cabinets? I believe that Barzilay was one that had the wood grain matched across all the sections. The cabinet certainly looks like a professional job, so if it is not Barzilay, it is certainly a similar company. There are vintage Allied Radio catalogs on line, so you could check there. That Fisher 600 is the solid state 600-T, placing this at 1965 or later, maybe up to 1968.

See if you can get this moved to the Fisher forum. There are people there that can probably identify it.

DON'T chop it up for the trash, at least, not yet.
 
Amazing wood in that cabinet. Are the front panels wood too? Looks to be very high quality. The 70’s had that “moment” when the fronts were very contoured (really not an especially good era), none-the-less if they are all wood, they are likely of very high quality and made from some very good stock. I worked at an appliance store in that era and they had nice Zenith console stereos with the carved fronts, but the fronts were all wood-stained fiberglass. The real wood units are nice. At a minimum, if you are going to dispose of it, PLEASE offer it up first to someone who could repurpose it! My guess is that the rest of the wood on the cabinet is solid stock of some sort, that is likely very good quality as well. Great material for building very high quality receiver/amp enclosures. You are not going to find that quality of material today, and if you could find it, it’d be veneered plywood/MDF, and VERY expensive. Treat the material like it is old-growth lumber - because it very likely may be, and really not available anymore…

It’s rare, and is only going to be increasingly so as we move forward. What you throw away today, may be increasingly valuable going forward. If possibly, I think we all have somewhat of a responsibility to salvage from the past. If you can’t do so, please let someone else take advantage of it! Way too nice not to repurpose! Just my opinion obviously!

NICE JBL drivers in that unit, definitely a very high quality build!
 
Fred and turnitup —
Yes, the components and the speakers were all contained in one long unit. Everything was fixed, and it’s definitely a quality job. Lots of solid wood and plywood, and why it weighed a ton.The thing that caught my attention when I saw the listing was a photo of the LX5 crossover attached to the back of the cabinet. No one else bid on it, so I got it for next to nothing. I hoped that there would be JBL speakers inside, which there were. It does have that less desirable styling look. But there was some documentation that came with it, including what I think is an earlier 1960s JBL price list with all of the components that were included in it circled. It was apparently originally purchased from a well-known, now defunct, high-end stereo story in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I really don’t want to destroy it, but I didn’t buy it for its style. We wouldn’t keep it for that reason. I wanted it for what was inside. But like I said, it’s huge and heavy, even when empty. If it were verifiable that it were a Barzilay, it might help generate some interest.
 
After scouring both Radio Shack and Allied catalogs from the mid-60's, it appears that the major cabinet providers were Barzilay, Gamber-Johnson and Rockford. Looking at all the offerings, I've not been able to find a single-length cabinet. All cabinets were offered as 3-piece units. Could the OP's cabinet have been custom-made or just some one-off offering by the store where everything was purchased?
 
After scouring both Radio Shack and Allied catalogs from the mid-60's, it appears that the major cabinet providers were Barzilay, Gamber-Johnson and Rockford. Looking at all the offerings, I've not been able to find a single-length cabinet. All cabinets were offered as 3-piece units. Could the OP's cabinet have been custom-made or just some one-off offering by the store where everything was purchased?
If you use Google or whatever your preferred search engine is, and select images, there are several out there that seem to be one-piece units that have two large speaker cabinets at the end as well as room in the center for plenty of components. And a lot of them are described as being Barzilay. If this one is a one-off, it was one heck of a project. Here’s one on 1stdibs.
 
Last edited:
The doors, top, and side panels (even interior ones — see pics) are (I think) oak. And the plywood parts (like the speaker compartment panels) are heavy plywood.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4772.jpeg
    IMG_4772.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4771.jpeg
    IMG_4771.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 24
if you don't want it, I suspect you could find someone who will take the empty cabinet for free. I'm not into the style myself, its getting into that 1970s ugly stuff with those front doors. Even if someone didn't want it for what it is, its got a lot of nice plywood in there which can be re-purposed. Have you priced plywood lately?
 
I bought this console at an auction last fall for the electronics inside rather than the cabinet itself. The contents were a Fisher 600 receiver, Dual 1019, an Ampex reel to reel, and a JBL S7 speaker configuration (with LX5 X-over). I haven’t tried selling or giving this thing away, and I half expect to have to hack it up into pieces that I can fit into the trash bin over the course of a few weeks. But I’ve been wanting to figure out what it was first and am wondering if it’s a Barzilay cabinet or not. I’ve looked through hundreds of images online and posts here and elsewhere, and have yet to see one quite like it. It’s huge and heavy, probably 90 inches long, with casters underneath. There aren’t any brand markings on it that I could find, unless they’re behind the fiberglass insulation that’s tacked inside the speaker compartments. What do you think?
.
I own three Barzilays (see pics below), and the style of your console doesn't seem to fit with Barzilays offerings of the MCM era. I also think that Barzilay did not use much plywood in their products. My bet is it is not a Barzilay. Barzilay also would have a 'badge' somewhere on the unit (although those could have fallen off). The closest Barzilay literature I have found on the web that resembles anything like yours is the "Design Eight" below.

1745266161311.jpeg


The three that I own:

This one I inherited from my father:

1745266352857.jpeg


This one I bought from a guy that was into buying/selling consoles when he could:

1745266624049.jpeg




This one I bought from a business, along with two matching speaker cabs below (the string art I inherited from my father also):

1745266484139.jpeg

One of the matching speaker cabs (the bottom one):

1745266547901.jpeg


If you are interested, here are some excerpts copied from the WWW about Ira Barzilay:

Ira (Spiro) Barzilay was quite the renaissance man according to his obituary. He was born in New York in 1919 and passed in Palm Desert in 2005 at the age of 86. He was a child prodigy on the piano and, although not a key player, appeared in several episodes of “Our Gang” and “The Little Rascals” as well as a short film with child actress Shirley Temple titled “Dora’s Dunking Doughnuts”. He was a decorated war hero surviving the second day of landing at Normandy and overseeing the rebuilding of the Bridge at Remagen. After the war he founded Barzilay Furniture Manufacturing Co. and for 40 years operated it out of Gardena California until he closed its doors in 1986 so he could retire and pursue his boating and sailing hobby.

Barzilay Furniture: Timeless Craftsmanship with Audiophile Roots
Barzilay furniture, produced from kits in the 1960s through the 1980s, holds a unique place in mid-century design history. While typically found in classified ads rather than auction houses, these well-crafted pieces have earned a devoted following among collectors and design enthusiasts.
The company, founded by Ira S. Barzilay, catered to audiophiles during the golden age of home stereo systems. From the 1960s through the 1970s, Barzilay was a name well-known to those building their own custom sound setups. The company specialized in stereo equipment cases, speaker cabinets, and modular wall units sold in kit form. Much like today’s IKEA, Barzilay offered flexibility and personalization, allowing customers to configure their cabinets to house amplifiers, turntables, and tape recorders.
Barzilay furniture was distinguished by its quality and aesthetics. Many pieces featured exotic veneers, such as highly figured rosewood, lending a sophisticated elegance to functional designs. These timeless pieces remain sought after for their clean lines and durability.
Ira Barzilay’s journey to furniture manufacturing was as remarkable as the furniture itself. A child prodigy on the piano, Barzilay was a featured performer in the “Our Gang” and “Little Rascals” comedy series and starred alongside Shirley Temple in the 1933 film Dora’s Dunking Doughnuts. After serving as a decorated captain in the Corps of Army Engineers during World War II, Barzilay founded his furniture company, which operated successfully for over 40 years.
The business closed around 1986, reportedly due to Barzilay’s desire to retire and increasing costs associated with California’s stringent air quality laws affecting small manufacturers. Ira Barzilay passed away in 2006 at the age of 86.
Today, Barzilay furniture remains a bargain compared to similar Danish Modern pieces and is just beginning to appreciate in value. While most transactions occur through private sales or classified ads, Barzilay furniture continues to evoke fond memories for those who grew up with its presence in their homes.
One former employee’s child recalls inheriting a house full of Barzilay furniture: “Their furniture was of the best quality, and its clean lines make it timeless. My living room wall unit—a mix of shelves, a TV cabinet, and a stereo cabinet—is still a centerpiece in my home. Barzilay will always be remembered fondly.”
Barzilay furniture, once a practical choice for audio enthusiasts, has evolved into a nostalgic and cherished part of mid-century design heritage, embodying timeless style and quality craftsmanship.
 
I own three Barzilays (see pics below), and the style of your console doesn't seem to fit with Barzilays offerings of the MCM era. I also think that Barzilay did not use much plywood in their products. My bet is it is not a Barzilay. Barzilay also would have a 'badge' somewhere on the unit (although those could have fallen off).

Yours are all very good looking, and if this one that I have looked more like yours, there’s a good chance we’d be keeping it. But you may well be right about mine. Although it does look somewhat along the lines of the one in the ad you show that they call Mediterranean style with the blocky design on the front. It also isn’t really that much plywood. The rear panels that enclose the speaker cabinets (with the cut outs for the crossovers) and around the component compartments (on the back of the unit) are plywood, but the sides, the top, the door frames, and the vertical panels that divide the inner component compartments inside are all solid wood, and look to be oak. But I obviously don’t really know. I wish I did.
 
If you don’t want it, I’d list it on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Jazz up the description, and hopefully someone will want it. 70’s stuff is very popular again, as is repurposing.
 
If you don’t want it, I’d list it on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Jazz up the description, and hopefully someone will want it. 70’s stuff is very popular again, as is repurposing.
.
Many people like these consoles to use as a HDTV 'stand' because it puts the screen up a bit higher than others, and a component or two can be placed along either side. If it's listed at a low/reasonable price, it should move relatively quickly.
 
Yours are all very good looking, and if this one that I have looked more like yours, there’s a good chance we’d be keeping it. But you may well be right about mine. Although it does look somewhat along the lines of the one in the ad you show that they call Mediterranean style with the blocky design on the front. It also isn’t really that much plywood. The rear panels that enclose the speaker cabinets (with the cut outs for the crossovers) and around the component compartments (on the back of the unit) are plywood, but the sides, the top, the door frames, and the vertical panels that divide the inner component compartments inside are all solid wood, and look to be oak. But I obviously don’t really know. I wish I did.
.
I use the one in the first pic (75" long) as a place to hold/hide 'B' speakers that are connected to a receiver in another room. I still have the turntable (Lesa), tuner (Knight) and speakers (Utah) that my father had in it, although none of them are in use. The middle top section opens, as does the right top section. Other than that, it is just for looks.

The one in the second pic (48" long) is just for looks also. A section of the top on the right pops up for a place to put a turntable. The tambour doors roll open to either side, and on the left is shelves, and the right side has shelves and a drawer. I use the entire thing for storage (turntables, preamps and other items).

The one in the third pic (48" long, with the string art above) is in the dining room, and we store some liquor bottles in it on built-in shelves. It has tambour doors also that roll open to either side, and although they appear to be wood boards about 8" wide, they are actually wood slats about 3/4" wide.
 
Maybe it's a Comander's Console? Officers with money used to buy the equipment they wanted and had cabinets built around them in Japan.
 
Back
Top Bottom