• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Battle of the 400s

Hendrix416

Nice Buzz/Good Tunes
I have been switching back and fourth turntables lately. I have a Pioneer PL-400 and a Realistic LAB-400. Judging by apperance, the LAB-400 should be the victor, hands down. It was RS's TOTL DD TT back in '78.

HOWEVER

I just switched back to the PL-400 after realizing the left channel is slightly softer than the right. I checked my receiver to see if that was the issue. Nope. All other sources sound balanced. Maybe it's the phono inputs. Nope. The PL-400 plays both channels just fine.

This might not be a fair fight because I bought the PL-400 fully serviced and the LAB-400 had been sitting in a storage trailer when I bought it. Maybe if I service the Realistic, it would surpass the Pioneer.

What are your thoughts on both 400s?
 
Register to hide this ad
I just "did some work" on my new PL-400 and while it's not their TOTL table, I think it's still a fairly impressive TT. As for the LAB, I'm not familiar enough with the table to have a informed opinion. :no:
 
Obviously, something is amiss on the LAB-400 somewhere between the stylus and the RCA plugs. Why don't you swap headshells/carts just to see if the problem follows the swap?

They're both fine turntables. I'm a fan of the CEC built tables (LAB-400) but admire the Pioneers as well.
 
They are both fine turntables, but most people would - these days - give the nod to the Realistic. The LAB 400 has gone from being a $5 machine to over $100. The cat is out of the bag on those Realistics, and not just the few that were really Technics. The LAB BSRs are clunky, most of the others were solid. The Pioneer is a great machine, like a lot of late 70s and early 80s Japanese turntables.

But the issue - aside from one coming out of storage with no clean up - sounds like the cart. Swap the even cart into the LAB and see for sure. Either way, it obviously is not normal, and something that needs to be fixed, and not a good way to compare them.
 
Hey, just replaced the RCA in my LAB-440 and all signs suggest it was a great move.

Speaking about Realsitic TT's in general, am wondering there's a site that rates TT's... Suppose I'm just trying to inflate my ego but more seriously, as I'm spending $/£ on my machine, would really like to make sure I'm spending it wisely.
 
Back
Top Bottom