• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

'Beatles for Sale'

catman

Addicted Member
Banned
G'day all, after a somewhat 'so- so' day, I did manage to wash quite a few records which really needed a wash, and one of them was the early Beatles 1964 album, 'Beatles for Sale' and I'm listening to side 2 now.

I think that this is my favourite 'early' Beatles album. Still the happy 'grinning moptops', but musically a big progression from the first album. A good mixture of originals and covers, but the Beatles originals show the musical genius that was to follow. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Register to hide this ad
Beatles for sale is one of my favorites also. The version of Words Of Love is easily in my top five Beatle tracks. Turn it up!
 
Not one "dog" on this album, and indeed, some of their strongest tracks. I'm a Loser and No Reply start this off in fine fashion. I Don't Want to Spoil the Party is also a great song. This is their "on the verge" album.
 
It is kind of really grown on me...it is unfortunate that the US did not have this album but instead Beatles 65 and Beatles VI. Nothing against those but this fine album should not have been truncated.
 
You're right on with this record. I guess most people who are over '40ish, when hearing a Beatles' song on those first 2 or 3 LP's, can sing along nearly verbatim from having known all the words when they were youngsters/teenagers.

Glad to see you whipped your melancholy and mild depression once again. You're the man Felix!!:yes:
 
Hey guys, since this is an older-ish thread now, I won't have to feel too bad, if I corrupt it a little, right? :scratch2: :D I picked up 3 Parlophone Beatles albums today, among others, and yeah, I paid more for these than I do most albums. Call it intermediate level collector's wort, I guess. ;) I don't really know my way around Parlophone yet, so I took a chance on these. I have Beatles For Sale and Help, both on the silver & black 2-mark label, from the 80s I think it said (gotta read up on that one more). Which is cool, not only to have those on the U.K. label, but to justify my posting here, LOL. The best part is, I also got what looks like a very early stereo Sgt. Pepper's, on the yellow & black Type-6-2 label, if I understand it right, with the "Sold In The U.K. Subject To Resale Price Conditions" line. The laquers are YEX 637-1 and YEX 638-1, the mothers are 2 for side 1 & 1 for side 2, and the stampers are 138 (GAL) for side 1 & 122 (GRR) for side 2. I'll be researching more, but thought I'd post somewheres for now, in case anyone had any good input. ;) Thanks. BTW, I'm not going to play any till tomorrow, I got home pretty late. EDIT: Well, I have all the identifiers of a true 1st pressing. :) The gatefold has the flaps at the top, inside, the label has all the right markings, and the dead give-aways are, the back cover has the line "Printed and made by Garrod & Lofthouse Ltd.", and With A Little Help From My Friends has "With" missing.
 
Last edited:
Aha! Check this out, for dating your U.K. vinyl. :thmbsp: http://yokono.co.uk It looks like my Help is a Type-3, & my For Sale is a Type-6, the "newest" or less vintage of the 3, from the 80s. EDIT: Sorry guys, apparently, they don't like folks linking to their site, but that site has a LOT of good info, if you take the trouble to just get there yourself. OK, I just linked to their homepage, & that works. You'll have to navigate yourself around, I guess. ;)
 
Last edited:
G'day all, after a somewhat 'so- so' day, I did manage to wash quite a few records which really needed a wash, and one of them was the early Beatles 1964 album, 'Beatles for Sale' and I'm listening to side 2 now.

I think that this is my favourite 'early' Beatles album. Still the happy 'grinning moptops', but musically a big progression from the first album. A good mixture of originals and covers, but the Beatles originals show the musical genius that was to follow. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

So which copy of BFS do you have? Is it a an Original Aussie Stereo or the Yellow and Black Aussie Mono or is it a later Aussie pressing such as the Orange label. My reason for asking is two fold, in that some of the Aussie Beatles LP's used UK stampers and sounded excellent and the first UK Stereo Yellow and Black pressing has to be heard be believed it's one of the best mastering jobs Harry T Moss ever cut for a Beatles Lp.
 
Back
Top Bottom