• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Belt for Teac X-7R - Factory versus Other

tulkas

New Member
Hi, I recently got my hands on a Teac X-7R RTR that needed major TLC. One of the first things I did was to order a set of belts (capstan and counter). I ordered the TEAC X-7R belts from vintage-electronics.net which I received within a few days. While reading up on how to open the thing and change the belts I noticed multiple comments in various forums where people were cautioning folks to stay away from belts other than original TEAC belts, which surprisingly can still be ordered from Teac (323)-727-4840. I decided to order a capstan belt from TEAC in order to make a comparison (the counter belt has been discontinued). I received the belts from TEAC in a few days as well.

I measured both belts as best I could and here are my findings. I also subjected each belt to a weight test. I wanted to see how each compared when subjected to a given weight, their "stretchiness" so to speak.

Conclusions
Lastly I installed each belt and listened to a tape which I'm familiar with as I already have an AKAI GX-265D. I may not have the best hearing out there but I couldn't tell any difference between the two, at least not in the 2-3 hour listening test I did on each belt. I ended up leaving the TEAC belt in the unit but that's not to say I preferred it between the two. It just happened to be the second belt I put in the unit. The FR16.9 belt will act as a spare if and when the Teac belt needs to be replaced.


In the table below the first two columns are the measurements I took. The third column are the measurements as listed in the PRB Catalog. The catalog lists the measurements in inches so I converted them to mm.

Belt Comparison – Teac versus PRB FR16.9

Teac FR16.9 (measured) FR16.9 (from PRB Catalog, inches converted to mm)
Weight 3.39g 3.89g n/a
Thickness 0.85mm 0.84mm 0.762mm
Width* 8.02mm 8.41mm 8.382mm

*As you can there's a ~0.39mm difference in width between the two, which is about the same thickness as two stacked 3x9 index cards.

"Stretchiness" Factor

I've attached several images showing how much each belt stretched when subjected to different weights. I had to work with what I had available so please bear with me. I first used 1oz fishing weights on each one. I measured each individually and shaved off some lead from one of them until they were both exactly the same weight, 1.038oz to be precise. I then used a 1.5 lb weights that I also had handy. I measured both and they were close enough in weight, maybe 2-3 ounces difference, where I felt it wouldn't affect the outcome much.

1 oz weights
Belt1-2.JPG

1 oz weights, close-up
Belt2-2.JPG

1.5 lb weights
Belt3-2.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
The only reason the Teac belt is recommended is that it often will have lower wow/flutter than other belts.

You would need a wow/flutter meter to see if, in fact. the Teac belt had better w/f specs. Usually, they do.

If you can't hear any difference, it may be a moot point. It doesn't mean that that they have the same w/f, however.
 
Tapetech, I hadn't considered W/F but that makes sense. Fortunately I left the Teac belt in the unit so I guess I made the right decision. I did the comparison mainly to see if there was an obvious physical difference between the two. I came across a few posts that seemed to indicate bad things could happen, like premature motor failure, if a questionable belt was used.

Regards.
 
IIRC there was/is chatter about factory belt being "necessary" for proper & consistent reversing; also
the choice in preventing/taking up 'looping' of tape on reverse
(could be ibid)
 
Teac or Marrs Communications belts are what I recommend on all X line Teacs and all Tascams based on that mechanism, and the Radio Shack machine which begat the X line. That capstan motor is weak, and the belt is critical to reduce strain on that motor and make reversing work. As Gibson Guitars is not making new parts for older Teac machines, we must take special care of them, and with the X 1000 and X 2000 highly valued looks decks, the lesser machines may be the ones to suffer the most as the other machines will be organ donors for the upper end models when parts dry up.
 
Good to know that TEAC is still supplying parts, at least from whatever stock they have. What was the return address on the package? Reason I ask is the TEAC/TASCAM facility in Montebello used to have a big sign overhead, but that has changed to a totally different company. So I was wondering if they moved, or just sold the signage to someone else.
 
And I was very saddened at the buyout. Teac was an excellent company, their support on their products second to none, the best of the Japanese manufacturers. They took great care of their customers.
 
Good to know that TEAC is still supplying parts, at least from whatever stock they have. What was the return address on the package? Reason I ask is the TEAC/TASCAM facility in Montebello used to have a big sign overhead, but that has changed to a totally different company. So I was wondering if they moved, or just sold the signage to someone else.
The Return Address of the package was as follows:

TEAC America Inc.
1834 Gage Road
Montebello, CA 90640

The invoice inside the package also had the same address and had a big bold TEAC(r) printed on it ( I used hyphens to represent a circle).
 
Back
Top Bottom