• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Bench setup

vanwinkle52

Active Member
As part of the learning curve, i must back up a little and get my bench/testing setup right. My questions are:
(1) proper grounding for the bench/test equipment
(2) proper isolation of test equipment.

I may never get to sing like you folks do, but with your help i might be able to lip sync..................thanks to all of you.

Curley
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a simple wooden bench made by stacking cedar 2x4s like a butcher block. I use it for building and general work. I don't mind burning it, drilling into it, etc.... Then I have my test bench which has an overhead top for the sig. gen., scope, distortion analyzer, etc.. http://www.lowes.com/pd_445722-4844...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Doesn't need to be steel, wood works better but you get the idea. I also recomend a rubber mat on the floor where you will be sitting or standing. It gives you insulation, and reduces knee fatigue.
 
As part of the learning curve, i must back up a little and get my bench/testing setup right. My questions are:
(1) proper grounding for the bench/test equipment
(2) proper isolation of test equipment.

I may never get to sing like you folks do, but with your help i might be able to lip sync..................thanks to all of you.

Curley
As for my personal habits ( it may not be in line with your safety regulations) i use non-grounded outlets ( although the ground tab is interconnected so
all chassies ( instrument ground) is interconnected. My working place is
on rubber mat, thus keeping me "floating" . In fact i can grab the line or B+ without harm AS LONG AS I ONLY USE ONE HAND. In addition is my exposure to a closed circuit reduces as i need to contact both the live and ground connections to have dangerous current through me.

What is an extra benefit is a ground-breaking relay on incoming power.

The additional rule that should be observed : don't work alone. Make shure
there is another person nearby that will note accidents.
 
Thanks folks...........always good info. Next question: When measuring tube circuits, what is the best way to buffer the instrument from the circuit?
 
Back
Top Bottom