• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bent rear panel Yamaha Rx-A760, no sound

Bob Pins

New Member
Hello,

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-A760 used (shopgoodwill) but was told it was in good working condition. It was packaged up ok, but I believe it was damaged during shipping as the back panel was significantly bent. I thought oh well, I won’t see the back anyway and tried to hook it up and there is no sound at all through any of the inputs even the fm tuner.

I am contacting the seller to see about just getting a refund. In the pictures they have the panel was not bent at all so I don’t know if they would honor damages during shipping.

my question is would it be worth it to open it up or even try to get it repaired at this point if they won’t take it back. It looks flawless otherwise and has everything that I was looking for in a receiver.

Attaching pictures as well.
 

Attachments

  • 005E09D8-8B21-4F7B-8C82-A72D72A9AECA.jpeg
    005E09D8-8B21-4F7B-8C82-A72D72A9AECA.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 73F18E5D-A9ED-474D-8F5D-FA83E2969089.jpeg
    73F18E5D-A9ED-474D-8F5D-FA83E2969089.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 14
  • C63629D2-1078-40F3-A631-3FE78263FDE3.jpeg
    C63629D2-1078-40F3-A631-3FE78263FDE3.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
Register to hide this ad
There is probably a circuit board running along the entire back which holds the input/output connectors. The circuit board is probably cracked. I've seen them repaired by jumper wires over the crack and epoxy on the board, but you're looking at a lot of work. You'll have to weigh the value of the find over cost and effort to repair.
 
I would be very surprised if they would not accept responsibility for a damaged unit they sold. Let us know what happens.
 
Well it is not looking great so far. I contacted the generic info/help personnel and they forwarded the information to the seller, and the seller has not responded in two days. I sent a follow up email this morning and received no reply as well. I managed to open up the case and can see that whatever board the speaker terminals and most of the analog i/o is hooked up to is bent as well. I didn't want to keep taking it apart in case I got a reply saying "sure send it back".

It is looking like I may be keeping this one. It might even be something as simple as a loose connection, but I don't want to dig around and muck something up if they do decide to take it back.
Bent board 1.jpg Bent board 2.jpg
 
index.php


Remove that lower PC board. Its your protect relay board. Closely inspect it for cracked or broken solder connections or cracked circuit traces.If the relays are not getting power to the coils there will be no sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom