• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Benz MC20 vs Sumiko blue point

ARJohn

Super Member
while in at a local shop this week they had a nib Benz MC20E2 for $250 cdn and a Sumiko Blue Point with 10 hours on it for $299 . Can any one offer opinions on the 2 . I am lusting to try a MC cart and have been checking out the Denon models on ebay from that guy in Germany . I just like the idea of supporting the brick and mortar shop's locally so these 2 carts appeal to me . My preamp has MM/MC swithing on it btw so I shouldn't have issues there and I believe they are both hi-output designs?

cheers
John
 
Register to hide this ad
Greetings!!

A buddy brought over a Denon DL-110 and his Benz 20H. I'm running a Sumiko Pearl that I've grown to love but after hearing those two, I am totally wanting the Benz!!! I absolutely love it...does everything I like about the Pearl only 10 times better...I loved it so much that after a couple of days I had to tear myself away from it and take it off my table LOL!!!

I can't wait for the funds to grab one myself :)
 
Greetings!!

A buddy brought over a Denon DL-110 and his Benz 20H. I'm running a Sumiko Pearl that I've grown to love but after hearing those two, I am totally wanting the Benz!!! I absolutely love it...does everything I like about the Pearl only 10 times better...I loved it so much that after a couple of days I had to tear myself away from it and take it off my table LOL!!!

I can't wait for the funds to grab one myself :)
well that's not great for my wallet !!! He only had the one Benz in stock at that price, clear out price. Pay day next week , rent or new cart ?
How was the denon ?
 
I hear the Denon dl 110's and dl 160's are hard to beat for their price. Search around here for threads about the dl-160, there are quite a few around here that own them and love em.
 
I hear the Denon dl 110's and dl 160's are hard to beat for their price. Search around here for threads about the dl-160, there are quite a few around here that own them and love em.

Yes the 160 is on the short list , just have to order on line is all . Again I would prefer to support local shops , price being equal or near at least .No one has denon here that I know of . Anyone heard the dl-160 and the Benz ?
 
The Denon was good...I just really liked how smooth and effortless the Benz was...right up my ally!!

I read lots on the Denon so I was really wanting to hear it...the 110 and the 160 are suppose to be almost identical. It was good but wasn't what I was looking for which was basically a more detailed Pearl...smooth, great vocals, musical and very non-fatiguing.

And if I hadn't of heard the Benz I would have been very happy with my Pearl for along time :) The Benz was perfect on my system!! This is just me though and the synergy of my gear...take alook at my signature for the gear I'm running.

Just for your info, he bought his out of Winnipeg (I'm in S'toon)...a little over 200.00 if I'm not mistaken.
 
John,
Well this answers the question I just asked you in your Grado alignment thread. I have a Benz MC20E2 H (high output version). Considering the price, and that it's Benz's entry-level MC cartridge, it's pretty impressive. There's great detail, good resolution, nice bass definition, and it's very healthy in the higher frequencies. I actually found it a tad bright, but if you can change the impedance settings on your phono preamp that might help (I can't). Overall, a very nice cartridge.

However, and I mentioned this in your other thread, you seem to really like your Grado Green. I'd recommend you wait a little while to make sure it's the sound you definitely like, and let it break in a bit more. Benz and Grado have very different "house sounds," with Benz being the more neutral of the two, with better resolution and inner detail, while the Grado is warmer and lusher, with a very seductive sound. If the latter floats your boat, you should seriously consider the Grado Platinum, which is their entry-level wood-body cartridge, and it's a moving iron type. I have one, it does pretty much everything better than the Silver I have (why shouldn't it?), and I was immediately in love the first time I played it. I should mention that, at least to me, it sounded more neutral than the Silver, but the lushness was still there, just spread out a little more evenly. There's also much more detail. But here's the real kicker: this cartridge images so incredibly well it's almost up there with the Benz Glider I'm currently using. It's the one huge strength of the Platinum, all the instruments sound like they have their own space and "air" around them - it's a little hard to put into words, you have to hear it.
 
Greetings!!

A buddy brought over a Denon DL-110 and his Benz 20H. I'm running a Sumiko Pearl that I've grown to love but after hearing those two, I am totally wanting the Benz!!! I absolutely love it...does everything I like about the Pearl only 10 times better...I loved it so much that after a couple of days I had to tear myself away from it and take it off my table LOL!!!

I can't wait for the funds to grab one myself :)
Hey sideways , I was just over on caunck and I see we exchanged posts on your SR212 score back a few months ago , small world eh ?

John
 
Sweet!!! I love that little unit...running downstairs on my quad with an Empire...very nice :) I scored some excellent Kortings from the 60's...great speaker for that setup...plays music!!
 
AR John, I have had my Sumiko Blue Point (first generation) for 15 years. OK, it was stored for 12 years but my service tech checked it in July 2008 and he told me that it was still in excellent condition. He recommended using Last stylus conditioner and cleaner religiously (which I have done since then). I estimate it has approximately 100 hours of use at this point. It is still performing extremely well on my VPI HW-19. I also agree with your philosophy of supporting local dealers.

Which preamp are you using, by the way?

JP
 
Last edited:
giday , I'm using the pre in my AR 07 int amp , it has the MC/MM switch .I also have a Teac outboard box that I picked up years ago put prefer the AR's .Hey it's not hi-end but is smooth , I think ? The sumiko has sunk on my list actually as the mention of the higher end Grado has now filled my head with lust !! Great hobby for a poor man :drool:
John
 
giday , I'm using the pre in my AR 07 int amp , it has the MC/MM switch .I also have a Teac outboard box that I picked up years ago put prefer the AR's .Hey it's not hi-end but is smooth , I think ? The sumiko has sunk on my list actually as the mention of the higher end Grado has now filled my head with lust !! Great hobby for a poor man :drool:
John

I'm like the little demon whispering into your ear... :tears:
 
I'm like the little demon whispering into your ear... :tears:


Yes , you will burn for this :sigh:

But I did extended listening with phones tonight , the v15 has more slam for sure and does track a bit better I think and at 1.25gr vs 1.5 on the grado , on rock records , under phones , it seems better . I was using the T. Heads "little creatures " side 2 . so the goal for tomorrow night , change headshells as the Shure is in the good one , the grado in a cheap no name and repeat said test .

Ok I admit I need help , I am obssessed .
"my name is John and I'm a nutcase "
 
I really like my Benz MC-20E H, which replaced a much loved Sumiko Blue Point Special ( the model before the current evolution 3 ) due to a broken cantiliver.

On my Thorens TD-124 / Rega RB-300 I slightly preferred the Sumiko, finding it less fatiguing.

Considering the Benz´s price I´d say its a great bargain. I also own a Denon DL-110, and nice as it is, it just is no match for the MC-20E.
 
I really like my Benz MC-20E H, which replaced a much loved Sumiko Blue Point Special ( the model before the current evolution 3 ) due to a broken cantiliver.

On my Thorens TD-124 / Rega RB-300 I slightly preferred the Sumiko, finding it less fatiguing.

Considering the Benz´s price I´d say its a great bargain. I also own a Denon DL-110, and nice as it is, it just is no match for the MC-20E.

thanks for the good info man .

John
 
I love my Suimiko BP#2 and I've auditioned carts 10x the price...the BP line can't be beat for the price IMO. That said, the BP#2 lists for $299 (US) new, so I raise an eyebrow to your dealer selling you one with 10 hrs for the same price as new (make it $199 and were talking)....and if it's a regular BP (not the #2), then your getting screwed. The #2 is light years ahead of the previous model. If the "Blue point he is selling you is the "special EVO III" then it's a deal and snatch that bad-boy up!

I too have a Pearl (which is a MM), and think it's a lovely cart, but it's not fair to compare it to the Blue Point line which is MC and has a completly different sound. It would be like comparing a Toyota Prius to the top of the line Lexus, just because they're the same company.

James R.
 
I think it was the special ? regular $399 ? Well I am going to take my time here on this , will see what shakes down .
thanks
John
 
I have owned both the Sumiko Blue Point and the Benz MC20. I much preferred the sound from the Benz after it was run in for about 40-50 hours. it had better detail and better imaging IMO. Remember that the Blue Point, and the Blue Point Special are not the same cartridge! I have never heard the "Special", but the reviews are intriguing!
 
Back
Top Bottom