• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best bang for my buck upgrading Rega Planar 3?

Doc Rock

Active Member
My main system turntable is an old Rega Planar 3 with a couple of tweaks and a nice cartridge. I'm considering more upgrades, and thought I'd seek some advice on best use of my money on the project.

Currently I'm running a Sumiko Blackbird, and the arm has been upgraded with the Incognito rewire kit. It has a Mitchell counterweight upgrade. Otherwise its stock.

The upgrades I'm likely to do next:
Groovetracer subplatter
Rega 24V motor upgrade
Rega white belt (I've never replaced it in many years, so its time)

Other things I might consider:
figure out a way to change the plinth color without a lot of fuss
speed control/power supply (Rega TTPSU/Music Hall/etc.)

Any advice?
 
Register to hide this ad
24V motor for sure, made the biggest difference to my ears (of the mods mentioned) and I have the same setup with a Planar 2 as you're aiming for. But what sorta mat are you using? I've had great luck with a ringmat on the Rega. I think outside of a cartridge swap, the mat is the most significant way to alter/improve the sound. FWIW I can't hear any difference with the outboard power supply but it makes it a heck of a lot easier to play 45s.
 
In my opinion, a machined subplatter is a terrific upgrade. However, a new belt and fresh lubricant could be the best bang for your buck, even if it's only the regular black belt. I used to have a P5, and was very surprised at what a difference the GrooveTracer subplatter made. One might think all it does it provide an accurate circumference, but it did more than that. I had a TTPSU with my P5, too. I thought the difference was too small to be worth the retail price, although maybe worthwhile at used prices.
 
Currently I'm using the stock felt mat on glass platter. I have a Ringmat on my LP-12 (that lives in my office). I also have a record clamp that I don't use - I'll probably play with that after the subplatter upgrade. In my browsing the web, opinions on the advantages of different platters, mats, clamp/unclamp, etc. seem pretty varied. I don't change back and forth to 45 rpm much, so I'll probably give the TT PSU a pass.
 
I didn't like the Ringmat on my P25. The stock felt was better to my ears.
 
You are on the right track, Doc Rock. First the GT subplatter, then the 24v motor , then the white belt. This improved my P3 substantially! I got the subplatter with the saphire/zirconia bearing, and delrin inserts. I had the PSU, but found no real benefit, so I ditched it. This combo will transform your table. Combine this with some good isolation, and you won't be able to stop playing records!:music:

Cheers, Plastico
 
I have to beg to differ on the sub platter first. On my Planar 2 the GT sub made only a slight improvement as compared to the 24V motor which is much quieter then the stock unit and mounted in such a way as to greatly improve speed stability, even with the stock phenolic platter. Some Rega subs are worse then others (I have three right now, and one platter is noticeably less round then the other two) but I still think you'll get the most bang for the buck with the motor upgrade unless yours is wobbly. I'd also consider the Argentinian sub being sold on eBay. It's plain looking but costs half of the GT and will accomplish the same goal really. I wish it had been available when I bought my GT. As for the mat, I actually don't mind felt but it has a "softer" sound for sure. The bass notes tend to blend together a bit more. If you have a ringmat already, bring it home and give it a shot, the worst that could happen is you don't like it. :-)
 
In thinking this over, one thought that has occurred to me is it might make more sense to just buy a new table without a tonearm and transfer my tweaked RB-300 over. Any tables in the 500 to 800 dollar range that would be a big upgrade over a P3 with an upgraded motor and subplatter? If the answer is no, I'll probably plow ahead with the upgrades I've already discussed. Suspension is not a big issue for me, as the table lives on a solid base sitting on the concrete floor in my basement.
 
I don't know about new turntables at $500 to $800, but I've seen some VPI HW-19 and SOTA Sapphire turntables go in that range.
 
I'm thinking I might watch for a deal on a used VPI or Linn for a little while before taking the Rega upgrade plunge.
 
I have a Planar 2 and I just installed the Michael Lim motor isolation base. Wow. Quieter background, MUCH better speed stability. It's less money than the 24v motor upgrade and for me, it was money well spent.
I'm running the stock subplatter, though I did install dynmat into the little "pie pieces" to dampen it a bit and give it some mass.
 
Great mods to the arm. The two greates tweaks to my table was the Michell Counterweight and the 24v motor. I also have a machined subplatter but the newest rigid mounted motor made a huge difference. I agree with those who say do the motor next.
 
Have any of you compared a lower end VPI or Sota table, or maybe the Clearaudio Concept to a maxed out P3 (with Groovetracer subplatter, 24v motor, rewired arm, etc.)? I'm torn between going ahead with the upgrades vs. trading up. If the maxed P3 is pretty close to the same performance, I'll probably go ahead with that, but if for another couple hundred I'm seeing noticable improvements it might make more sense to move on.
 
Back
Top Bottom