• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Book?

jjohnson

Super Member
I have an addiction to audio and have often thought about a hobby repairing and/or building amplifiers or preamps in my spare time. There is only one problem. I don't have any knowledge of electricity or electronics.:D I have looked at a few books, most notably "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics". Does anyone have any recommendations to a newbie to get involved in this area without getting himself electrocuted?:tears:
 
Register to hide this ad
I have found that the best way to learn is a "hands on" approach. You can read about theory all day, but you must put your knowledge to use and build practical examples of what you are reading about. I was lucky, my high school (At the time, probably a victim of budget cuts now. It was 18 years ago.) had a very good electronics program that taught me the basics and helped me put what I learned to use by building the circuits and theory we studied.

If it's practical, I would look to your local community college and see if they offer any courses on electronics. As far as books, i'm sure others will chime in.
 
Thanks for the advice. I may well look at attending a class. I picked up a book from the library today to get a feel for things but I'm sure that the hands-on lab work of a classroom would be well worth my time.
I have found that the best way to learn is a "hands on" approach. You can read about theory all day, but you must put your knowledge to use and build practical examples of what you are reading about. I was lucky, my high school (At the time, probably a victim of budget cuts now. It was 18 years ago.) had a very good electronics program that taught me the basics and helped me put what I learned to use by building the circuits and theory we studied.

If it's practical, I would look to your local community college and see if they offer any courses on electronics. As far as books, i'm sure others will chime in.
 
Maybe you have a community college you could take a class for an audit where you don't get a grade you just go for fun.

Main thing is to learn to read a schematic...

Good luck....
 
Back
Top Bottom