• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best center channel to match KEF 104/2?

NoiseGoth

New Member
Hi all! Been lurking for a while, and I appreciate the accumulated wisdom. Looking for a bit of advice.

I'm considering ditching my separate 2-channel / 5.1 channel set-ups. I currently use my KEF 104/2s for stereo sources only (CD, vinyl) and have a JBL CinemaVision 5.1 system for home theater duty. I'd love to ditch the JBLs and go with the KEFs as the R/L in a high-end 5.1 system. That means finding a center and surrounds that match fairly well.

I've been looking at the KEF 202/2c or the older 202c. Anyone have other suggestions to match the sound of the 104/2s? Or is anyone using the 104/2s in a 5.1/7.1 setup? Is this a totally stupid idea?

I haven't auditioned anything yet and I haven't even established budget. I guess I'm hoping to score something used over the next year or so, or save up and get something new in 2 years. I'm more concerned with the center channel for now.

Thanks for all suggestions/advice!
 
Register to hide this ad
Good questions.
I'm using a Spendor C5e because I own it, but I've mulled over taking a spare 104/2 D'Appollito pod and stuffing it in the center. Since the midrange speakers are each in their own enclosure and the tweet is a standalone in the center, it should work, but it won't necessarily handle the lows well and could blow on an abusive movie.

The character of the Spendor is different but equally good.
I'll be watching this thread.
 
Interesting idea... set the center to "Small" on the AVR so it shunts low end to the sub. Certainly works from a timbre matching viewpoint. I think imaging might suffer, though (not that I don't already have imaging problems galore... stupid hardwood floors).

I'm definitely looking for a similar character (as you put it) sound.
 
What about a single 103.2? Don't they both use the T33 tweeter? There's no rule that says a center channel speaker has to be horizontal. Just a thought. I have 103.2s and use them in 2 channel to watch movies in my bedroom system and they handle dialogue very well in that use.
 
Not a bad suggestion, though I'm limited by the shelving a new center will have to fit into (14" tall by 28" wide). Compounding my problem is the Yamaha receiver I'm using is best suited to 6+ohm on the center channel. The 103.2 is a 4ohm speaker. I don't want the Yammy to work too hard. That's why I was looking at the newer 202c and 202/2c... they are 8ohm.

I missed my chance at picking up another pair of 104/2s for $200 recently. That would have been worth it to try out Audiogon's idea. Still looking for solutions, but I'm grateful for the suggestions thus far.
 
The 103.2 and 104.2 are both great speakers, but they do not sound very similar. The 104.2 was a clean break for Kef, much brighter, more dymanic, more up front.
 
Just to follow up on this, I wound up getting a decent deal on an XQ50. With a bit of tweaking, it seems a decent (though not perfect) match for the 104/2s. Much better than what I had before, so I'm satisfied. Thanks all for the advice!
 
Back
Top Bottom