• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Hafler 500 setup?

ramey510

New Member
I just got a Hafler 500 to run a set of Dahlquist dq 10s, and I'm wondering if there is another way to connect it rather than what I have now.
Here is what I currently have- Using A Harmon Kardon HK 560 as a preamp, and running 1 1/4" to RCA from the headphone jack into the input on the Haffler
The Haffler outputs go into my Velodyne cht 10 sub high level input. The sub outputs then go to my Dq 10s.

Is there a better way to do this? I have read that a headphone jack doesn't put out enough voltage to send a quality signal to the Haffler, though it is working. It does sound a little muddy in the mids, when compared to the Yamaha 100watt a/v receiver I had been using, so maybe that's the reason? I'm a little new to all of this, so any help is appreciated.
I am using the HK 560 as I don't yet have a preamp, so I'm hoping to make this work for a bit.
 
Register to hide this ad
You really need a preamp or a receiver (or integrated) with a "pre out/main in". I don't think you are getting the best out of your system (and comparing it to your yamaha is silly).

swing by and I can provide a preamp so you can try. Then you can compare with your AV receiver.

or get a dh-110 or dh-101. there are some great updates you can use to really improve these old hafler preamps. my 101 is one of my favorites.
 
We usually use the record output on the HK and make a small "Volume Control" box for level adjust.

Actually works pretty well, No tone controls though...

PS: Do you need some more DH-500's? I've got 2 of them collecting cobwebs...
 
I just got a Hafler 500 to run a set of Dahlquist dq 10s, and I'm wondering if there is another way to connect it rather than what I have now.
Here is what I currently have- Using A Harmon Kardon HK 560 as a preamp, and running 1 1/4" to RCA from the headphone jack into the input on the Haffler
The Haffler outputs go into my Velodyne cht 10 sub high level input. The sub outputs then go to my Dq 10s.

Is there a better way to do this? I have read that a headphone jack doesn't put out enough voltage to send a quality signal to the Haffler, though it is working. It does sound a little muddy in the mids, when compared to the Yamaha 100watt a/v receiver I had been using, so maybe that's the reason? I'm a little new to all of this, so any help is appreciated.
I am using the HK 560 as I don't yet have a preamp, so I'm hoping to make this work for a bit.
Get a dedicated preamp. I would suggest a Hafler 945. You need the correct input voltage for the amp to run in its sweet spot. My XL600/945 is an excellent combo.
 
Choosing a preamp can be difficult.

I'd think about price, need a remote, need tone controls, need a phono input.

Or just something from a friend or neighbor to test out the hafler.

I have a lot of preamps but I also have a lot of power amps.
 
We usually use the record output on the HK and make a small "Volume Control" box for level adjust.

Actually works pretty well, No tone controls though...

PS: Do you need some more DH-500's? I've got 2 of them collecting cobwebs...
Thanks, I may need another at some point.
 
In order to get the best of your Hafler DH-500 I would recommend that you find a nice reasonably priced tube pre-amp.

The tubes will mellow out the sound and provide a beautiful paring with your DH-500. Some reasonable priced vintage units would be a Dynaco PAS4, or a Conrad Johnson PV-10A or PV-10B, or if you want something newer than a Schitt Freya + would work well.

If your going down the rabbit hole of getting a pre-amp then you owe yourself the experience of running tubes.
 
Which one did you get?
I bought 2 of the Zero Zone talked about in this post. Unfortunately, it's no longer available (at least I haven't been able to find it listed anywhere). It disappeared about the time that the tariffs came into play. New Tube Preamp - China - 12AX7

On the last page of that thread, someone linked to 2 other China clones, but they are SS and not tube. Even so, if I was looking for a good pre, I'd consider them as they are based on high $ models, and the poster speaks highly of them.
 
I like the idea of the fosi p4. No sense spending a lot of money if ramsey doesn't like the hafler.

A friend just dropped off an adcom 555ii. He also has a hafler 500. I'm curious which one he likes best. Both are big mosfet power amps.

Hopefully in a few weeks he will evaluate both and tell me. I thought they sounded fine but never had both at the same time.
 
Back
Top Bottom